Python Forum
Open source RTS game Forward Only
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open source RTS game Forward Only
Hi, all!

Wanna share my pride and joy with you - an open source game I'm developing alone on Python and Panda3D. Trailer to get the first idea:

The game represents a real-time strategy with arcade fights blotches and a lot of choices to make. Build your crew with three classes of units, increase their cohesion to open crew skills, make them even stronger with perks, upgrade your locomotive, fight with enemies of 7 classes on move and even more.

The game is free and completely open, you can find source code and playable builds in the repository:
https://github.com/IlyaFaer/ForwardOnlyGame

Right now it's implemented in about 85%, there are still a lot of things to do, but it's actually playable.

Stack is this:
- Python 3.7
- Panda3D game engine
- Blender and MakeHuman for models

Comments, both technical and gameplay, are welcome!
lucasbazan and Talbot9 like this post
The fact that you deving this with only panda is amazing, i wish you good luck
I saw your indiedb site,
удачи вам
IlyaFaer likes this post
There's a lot of production code there, but I didn't see any test code. You really want to get into the habit of writing automated tests because they're what tell you when you've broken anything as you change the code.
Wow I liked so much.
Congrats!!! Dance
IlyaFaer likes this post
[Image: LEHoEPo.jpg]
Hi, all!

Romantic atmosphere comes to Forward Only:

The newest release finishes the scenario, implements the game ending, and (in addition to other things) changes balance. The game world became smaller, but more replete, all the events are more often now. Let me know, if it's still not active enough.

I'd say that active phase of development is finished - all the systems are implemented, now it's about overall polishing and balancing.

The last playable build:
https://github.com/IlyaFaer/ForwardOnlyGame/releases
Hi

Just watched the YouTube clips that's amazing well done!!!!
IlyaFaer likes this post
Smile 
(Mar-11-2022, 08:38 PM)Talbot9 Wrote: Hi

Just watched the YouTube clips that's amazing well done!!!!
Thank you very much! Doing my best
Hi, all! How is it going?

Big news in Forward Only! Three music artists: Moloken, Among Madness and Qualia, supported the game with their tracks, bringing more dense atmosphere into Silewer. Check out the game playlist on Spotify!

New release also brings new visual and sound effects, world compression at 15% more (so, it became more replete), and a lot of bug fixes.

The playable build can be downloaded in the repo:
https://github.com/IlyaFaer/ForwardOnlyGame/releases
Hi, all, how are you?

New release of Forward Only coming, with an episode-crossover with SCP Foundation!
See the crossover trailer:

Game was optimized, and some errors were fixed. With the next release, I think, will start to prepare for an early release in web stores. The game will remain free though.

The main question now: should the game be speeded up more? Or those meditative road pauses between fights and outings are short enough?

Download the last playable build: https://github.com/IlyaFaer/ForwardOnlyGame/releases

P.S. Though the game is open source, SCP Foundation materials and game music are not free to use in other projects. All the rights belong to the authors, and I have their direct (and documented) permission to use them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  free open-source automation task-runner project yaythomas 8 5,640 Sep-21-2020, 01:02 PM
Last Post: yaythomas
  Slack NLP : open source bhagvanarch 0 2,899 Dec-30-2018, 12:08 PM
Last Post: bhagvanarch
  Monte Carlo : Open source project bhagvanarch 0 2,615 Dec-29-2018, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bhagvanarch
  Camelot (Open source) - Extract tabular data from PDF! sidharthwadhwa 1 3,060 Oct-15-2018, 11:17 AM
Last Post: buran