Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error 'Contour' not Defined
Hi - I'm new to Python and are working with debugging a script that was developed for Python 2.7.

This is my error:
Error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "init_collapse.py", line 115, in <module> cs=contour(kxx,kyy,-kelevation,[collapse_depth]) NameError: name 'contour' is not defined
I just wonder if 'contour' is a module I should have available. These are the modules the script calls for:
 from scipy import *
#from pylab import *
from numpy import *
import sys
from degrees2utm import *
from copy import deepcopy
from matplotlib.patches import PathPatch
Has it something to do with 'matplotlib.patches import PathPatch' because this is the only module I could not find to load?

Kind Regards
Dave
Yoriz write Mar-12-2022, 11:49 PM:
Please post all code, output and errors (in their entirety) between their respective tags. Refer to BBCode help topic on how to post. Use the "Preview Post" button to make sure the code is presented as you expect before hitting the "Post Reply/Thread" button.
This is one of the many problems with wildcard imports. You have no idea where to look for contour. But if I had to guess I would say it is in pylab. A quick google search of pylab and contour brings up examples of how to use countour() and even a demo!
Hi Deanhystad

Oh, because I'm real new to it. Is the problem that my Python 2.7 is not recognizing the contour function. How do I get it to do so"
I think contour is in the pylab module. You are not importing the pylab module. The line that imports the pylab module is commented out.

Are you going to be a project? If this is your first foray into Python I don't think you should start with scipy, numpy and matplotlib. Are you converting existing code from Python 2.7 to a new version of Python? This can be a difficult task for a new programmer. Not only do are you learning Python, but you are learning two very different version of Python and having to keep straight which version has which features. And I am leery about learning from this code. The wildcard imports make me think it was not written by a good programmer.

This is all bad:
 from scipy import *
#from pylab import *   # <- This import is commented out
from numpy import *
from degrees2utm import *
A good python programmer would write this as:
import scipy
import numpy
import pylab
import degrees2utm
Then when the programmer used the contour pylab contour function it would look like this:
cs = pylab.contour(kxx, kyy, -kelevation, [collapse_depth])
Now if there is a problem with countour at least you know which module is responsible. And maybe you would look at pyplot and controur and find out why the import is commented out. Then you would see that pyplot is an interface to matplotlib.pyplot, and that pyplot also has a contour.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Variable is not defined error when trying to use my custom function code fnafgamer239 4 511 Nov-23-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: rob101
Question Vertex(Contour) to mesh conversion JorgeRdz 1 673 Feb-06-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  [variable] is not defined error arises despite variable being defined TheTypicalDoge 4 2,041 Apr-05-2022, 04:55 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Getting "name 'get_weather' is not defined error and no json_data returned? trthskr4 6 3,528 Sep-14-2021, 09:55 AM
Last Post: trthskr4
  Error when refering to class defined in 'main' in an imported module HeRo 2 2,330 Apr-13-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: HeRo
  Why does lambda throw 'name value_o is not defined' error? karabakh 3 2,121 Dec-14-2020, 05:45 PM
Last Post: karabakh
  name error "name"is not defined MaartenRo 1 3,374 Jul-28-2020, 02:39 AM
Last Post: bowlofred
  Name Error: name 'Stockton' is not defined Pinokchu 3 2,233 Jun-13-2020, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Yoriz
  python library not defined in user defined function johnEmScott 2 3,766 May-30-2020, 04:14 AM
Last Post: DT2000
  error ,,name append is not defined'' Killdoz 1 4,981 May-24-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bowlofred