Python Forum
file icons have Firefox icon
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
file icons have Firefox icon
Hi All
I'm new to Python. Have been trying to save files from Python to my desktop and when I save them they are saved as a Firefox browser window. I type .py as the file extension but it still keeps saving as a Firefox file. When I open the file it looks like when you right click on a webpage and select view page source.
It's the same when I download python files they only download as a Firefox icon. Can't save or download Python files so they have the little Python icon on them. Thank you for any suggestions.
What os?
(Mar-31-2022, 10:44 PM)deanhystad Wrote: What os?

Windows
(Mar-31-2022, 08:59 PM)Ricvourn Wrote: Hi All
I'm new to Python. Have been trying to save files from Python to my desktop and when I save them they are saved as a Firefox browser window. I type .py as the file extension but it still keeps saving as a Firefox file. When I open the file it looks like when you right click on a webpage and select view page source.
It's the same when I download python files they only download as a Firefox icon. Can't save or download Python files so they have the little Python icon on them. Thank you for any suggestions.

It sounds like you are using a Web-based Python development system. This means the "File" menu you see in the browser means "Save this Web page as a Web page". It does not mean "save this program as a file". So what happens is that either the development environment has a menu item to save the file on your machine, or it is saving it for you in the cloud, which is managed for you by the developers of that environment. You did not say how you are creating your Python programs, and that matters a lot.

Some of these cloud-based environments have a "download" option that lets you retrieve that file contents, some don't.

You might want to investigate systems that host themselves on your computer. You need to tell us what OS you are using. The mu editor is highly thought of by some (I am not in that set); I use Visual Studio Code, which is a free download from Microsoft. There are many other editors, including NotePad++, but I have never used it for Python development so I can't say much about it.
Ricvourn likes this post
Wow that sounds great thanks for your reply. I'm using Windows 10 and I downloaded Python from Python.org. I open the IDLE and cntl n to open a new file. Then I'll save it to my desktop. No matter what I do it saves as a web page. I'm not using a code editor for Python. I normally use sublime text. I know of notepad but have only used it a couple of time and not for Python. Just getting started with Python.
Thanks again for you insight.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python icons in Ubuntu KatManDEW 4 76,549 Aug-12-2022, 08:33 AM
Last Post: rob101
  Change icons of system rizzla 1 1,933 Jan-28-2021, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Marbelous
  OpenCV - Distinguishing between three icons kainev 2 1,970 Jul-30-2019, 11:57 PM
Last Post: kainev
  Coding a logger for firefox history kpiatrou 2 2,889 Dec-25-2018, 06:42 PM
Last Post: snippsat
Question IDLE icon artfuture2001 2 2,920 Aug-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Last Post: artfuture2001
  How to set the window icon with OpenGL GLUT hsunteik 3 6,283 Mar-19-2017, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Larz60+