Python Forum
Best strategy for creating .exe for windows
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best strategy for creating .exe for windows
In Linux Mint 20.2,Python 3.8 I have created an app that I now want to have a few folks test on Windows machines. My searches tell me there are basically two ways to get at this to where i can share with them: use Wine or VirtualBox. I was hoping not to have to invest in a copy of Windows. Does anyone have any experience and can share pros/cons. I am not that experienced a programmer so i struggle doing complex set ups but if the instructions are good step by step I can handle.
Thanks
use "py auto to exe" may this will help you.
I may have missed it but researching above, i could not find where it supports cross compiling from Linux to Windows.
(Apr-04-2022, 01:09 AM)hammer Wrote: i could not find where it supports cross compiling from Linux to Windows.
Pyinstaller is not a cross-compiler.
They way it works is that have to build on the platform you want distribute to.
PyInstaller Wrote:PyInstaller is tested against Windows, Mac OS X, and GNU/Linux.
However, it is not a cross-compiler: to make a Windows app you run PyInstaller in Windows; to make a GNU/Linux app you run it in GNU/Linux, etc.
PyInstaller has been used successfully with AIX, Solaris, FreeBSD and OpenBSD but testing against them is not part of our continuous integration tests.
So you have to do the work on Windows,then the .exe you give to other is stand alone(no work required on 3-part).
The same on Linux when use Pyinstaller there it will make a executable that work on Linux.
We have many post here about Pyinstaller it's a great tool that work with most of the 3-party packages in Python.

Other alternatives PyOxidizer has a list.
Missing Briefcase in links.
Thank you. I have a lot to learn beyond coding. I feel like the old farmer that gets caught in town over lunch so he goes into a chicken palace.
After all the choice bombardment (crispy/original, 3piece/4piece, legs or thighs, regular or supersize, etc) he replies " madam, all i wanted was some *&#! fried chicken.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moving average strategy irina_shubina 2 1,783 Jul-31-2022, 05:11 PM
Last Post: paulyan
  strategy to troubleshoot what pyinstaller misses hammer 0 939 May-23-2022, 01:05 AM
Last Post: hammer
  Strategy on updating edits back to data table and object variables hammer 0 1,194 Dec-11-2021, 02:58 PM
Last Post: hammer
  calculate daily return in percent in forex as to some strategy? alen 1 2,207 Mar-12-2021, 10:03 AM
Last Post: buran
  Python learning strategy IluvPython 6 3,221 Nov-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Last Post: buran
  What is the strategy for working with class variables? AlekseyPython 3 2,989 Feb-24-2019, 05:34 AM
Last Post: AlekseyPython
  Python and strategy pattern tanc 5 3,389 Nov-30-2018, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Error when creating child process on Windows 10 Charles 0 3,229 May-30-2018, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Charles
  best parallelisation strategy on python simona 1 2,210 Apr-19-2018, 01:51 AM
Last Post: Larz60+