Python Forum
Is there software/tool for coding Python?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there software/tool for coding Python?
Hello,
I have programmed for couple decades. When I program with c#, I use Visual Studio. Now I am having challenge use Python. What software / tool do I use to program, at least to start leaning? It is easier to follow the videos if I am hands on.
Please see attached file for example.
Thanks.
Dee

Attached Files

Thumbnail(s)

Any text editor will do. Just to name a few atom, pycharm, and notepad++. Pretty sure visual studio works as well.
dee likes this post
I welcome all feedback.
The only dumb question, is one that doesn't get asked.
My Github
How to post code using bbtags

One of the best (in my opinion) is VSCode
However, IDE's are a personal choice, so suggest googlimg 'python IDE' where you will get an extensive list.
If you work with MCU's and embedded code, I find Thonny to be excellent.
dee likes this post
Agree VS Code will be very close (if not identical) to Visual Studio (after all, that's what VS stands for).
PyCharm is also very popular.
I also use Spyder within Anaconda, and Google Colab as a notebook style scratchpad
dee likes this post
(May-01-2022, 12:07 PM)jefsummers Wrote: gree VS Code will be very close (if not identical) to Visual Studio (after all, that's what VS stands for).
No there are not identical the difference is fundamental in many places,VS Code is free Visual Studio Code - Open Source ("Code - OSS")
VS Code work on all platforms(Windows,macOS, and Linux).
VS Code is much more geared against Python,look at Python extension for Visual Studio Code(55-mil downloads).
This Python extension will not work in Visual Studio.
Visual Studio has own Python Tools for Visual Studio,
but can not compare at all with features and development in the the VS Code Python extension.
dee likes this post
I code Python with Kdevelop, or even a pure editor such as Kate.
For people coming from MATLAB, Octave or Scilab for instance, there is Spyder and it's variable explorer (what I'me using).

I forgot to speak about its debugger (very usefull and powerfull in conjunction with the variable explorer)
As Larz60+already mentioned - it's a personal choice. Therefore (for all purists) I suggest Vim. I've been using Vim for about 5 years now, mostly because I can't figure out how to exit it Wink
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
(May-01-2022, 09:01 PM)perfringo Wrote: Therefore (for all purists) I suggest Vim.
I am tempted by Vim (I was a Vi user 30 years ago), but I'm using a Bépo keyboard layout, which I strongly recommend to all french speaking people, and I gave up the idea of redefining the innumerable key bindings of Vim to this layout. It seems like an impossible task, not to mention that it would invalidate all the available Vim documentation.

Spyder is nice. I used it with students. Simple and efficient.
(May-01-2022, 01:23 PM)snippsat Wrote: No there are not identical the difference is fundamental in many places,VS Code is free Visual Studio Code - Open Source ("Code - OSS")
VS Code work on all platforms(Windows,macOS, and Linux).
VS Code is much more geared against Python,look at Python extension for Visual Studio Code(55-mil downloads).
This Python extension will not work in Visual Studio.
Visual Studio has own Python Tools for Visual Studio,
but can not compare at all with features and development in the the VS Code Python extension.

But with him coming from Visual Studio, I thought moving to VS Code would be an easier transition

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  python tool to collect the time measurement of entire code maiya 3 2,324 Feb-12-2021, 05:39 PM
Last Post: BashBedlam
  How a Mac OS software can restart itself with admin permission in Python 3.7? Formationgrowthhacking 0 1,790 Sep-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Formationgrowthhacking
  Python Based Data QA Automation tool suggestion Sonia567 1 2,001 Nov-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Python QGIS tool that replaces layout text labels with attributes from an input table geodenn92 1 2,691 Aug-13-2019, 06:05 AM
Last Post: buran
  Help coding 3d software automation danishaikh 1 47,999 Apr-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  use python output in other software sampy 0 22,714 Feb-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Last Post: sampy
  Python bug in ArcGIS - Urban Network analysis tool stanimirasn 0 2,238 Jul-29-2018, 06:08 PM
Last Post: stanimirasn
  Help developing img cropping tool in python lerugray 9 6,838 Dec-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Mekire