Python Forum
Windows install does not create .exe, shortcut,etc to open
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows install does not create .exe, shortcut,etc to open
I used pynsist in linux to create an installer for windows of my python app.-no errors/warnings
When I looked into the nsis file it created, there was a file with .exe extension, launch.pyw, and a default .ico file.
I copied the nsis file and pasted in a folder on a Windows machine.
I selected the .launch.pyw file which started the install. The setup and extraction executed without any warnings/errors.
I went to the install folder and the .exe file does not show up now but an uninstall does. No shortcut displayed anywhere on main screen either.

When I click on the .pyw or the .ico file it asks me what app i want to open with. I tried opening the .pyw file with the packaged python- wrote a few lines to a screen which immediately closed and that was it.

Any ideas on how to open app. and what I am missing would be appreciated?
More Info: I found a log file shown below that indicates no text provider! It says to change log level in the config. My install.cfg does not seem to have a log level. Anybody see what I am missing?

[INFO ] Logger: Record log in C:\Users\marka\.kivy\logs\kivy_22-05-03_37.txt
[INFO ] Kivy: v2.1.0
[INFO ] Kivy: Installed at "C:\Program Files\Cattle Mgt\pkgs\kivy\__init__.py"
[INFO ] Python: v3.8.10 (tags/v3.8.10:3d8993a, May 3 2021, 11:48:03) [MSC v.1928 64 bit (AMD64)]
[INFO ] Python: Interpreter at "C:\Program Files\Cattle Mgt\Python\python.exe"
[INFO ] Logger: Purge log fired. Processing...
[INFO ] Logger: Purge finished!
[INFO ] Factory: 189 symbols loaded
[INFO ] Image: Providers: img_tex, img_dds (img_sdl2, img_pil, img_ffpyplayer ignored)
[CRITICAL] Text: Unable to find any valuable Text provider. Please enable debug logging (e.g. add -d if running from the command line, or change the log level in the config) and re-run your app to identify potential causes
sdl2 - ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _text_sdl2: The specified module could not be found.
File "C:\Program Files\Cattle Mgt\pkgs\kivy\core\__init__.py", line 59, in core_select_lib
mod = importlib.__import__(name='{2}.{0}.{1}'.format(
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1093, in __import__
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 848, in exec_module
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
File "C:\Program Files\Cattle Mgt\pkgs\kivy\core\text\text_sdl2.py", line 13, in <module>
from kivy.core.text._text_sdl2 import (_SurfaceContainer, _get_extents,

pil - ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PIL'
File "C:\Program Files\Cattle Mgt\pkgs\kivy\core\__init__.py", line 59, in core_select_lib
mod = importlib.__import__(name='{2}.{0}.{1}'.format(
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1093, in __import__
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 848, in exec_module
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
File "C:\Program Files\Cattle Mgt\pkgs\kivy\core\text\text_pil.py", line 7, in <module>
from PIL import Image, ImageFont, ImageDraw

[CRITICAL] App: Unable to get a Text provider, abort.
From the docs, in the disadvantages:

Quote:You don’t get an exe for your application, just a start menu shortcut to launch it.

Check the Start menu for a shortcut to launch the script.

Note, that is assuming you did everything right in the cfg to include required third-party dependencies (Kivy, etc.?)
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Thank you. I did not know that. My problem seems to still with no text provider.

Went back and performed what was recommended on StackOverflow for this error-see below: created a new install, went through set up but still got same text provider error:
   pip install --upgrade pip wheel setuptools
   pip install docutils pygments pypiwin32 kivy-deps.sdl2 kivy-deps.glew 
   pip install kivy-deps.gstreamer 
   pip install kivy-deps.angle 
   pip install –-upgrade kivy 
When i performed above though three gave a "no matching distribution" comment which I have not figured out why yet.

(kmd) mark@mark-Latitude-E7240:~/Python_Environments/bovine25$ pip install docutils pypments pipiwin32 kivy-deps.sdl2 kivy-deps.glew
Requirement already satisfied: docutils in /home/mark/Python_Environments/env3/kmd/lib/python3.8/site-packages (0.18.1)
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement pypments (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for pypments
(kmd) mark@mark-Latitude-E7240:~/Python_Environments/bovine25$ pip install kivy-deps.gstreamer
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement kivy-deps.gstreamer (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for kivy-deps.gstreamer
(kmd) mark@mark-Latitude-E7240:~/Python_Environments/bovine25$ pip install kivy-deps.angle
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement kivy-deps.angle (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for kivy-deps.angle
Any general comments are helpful.
Consider this Rectified.
I have learned that if any package or dependency is not 100% python then pynsist will not work-fine print I guess!!!! ie, Kivy has some C code.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get Current Directory From ShortCut. Oshadha 1 955 Jul-30-2022, 04:41 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Open windows cmd prompt and run cmds with python Extra 3 1,439 Jul-14-2022, 06:07 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Cannot install TensorFlow 2.2 in Windows 10 Led_Zeppelin 1 1,168 Apr-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  How to read python shortcut target profile directory of Chrome Ink file sunny9495 1 1,656 Apr-12-2022, 06:12 PM
Last Post: sunny9495
  Is it possible to open windows and do screenshots with Python? cubangt 2 1,328 Jan-14-2022, 03:57 PM
Last Post: cubangt
  WinError 2, since fresh new Windows 10 install alok 1 1,643 Jan-06-2022, 11:20 PM
Last Post: lucasbazan
  Open windows media player minimised TamP 1 2,216 Aug-02-2020, 08:40 PM
  pygame install windows 10 s fenny666 4 4,244 Mar-21-2020, 03:55 AM
Last Post: fenny666
  unable to install sip/pyqt on windows 10 phparion 1 4,413 Oct-27-2018, 11:03 PM
  easy to install python meterpreter windows juanb007 1 2,349 Oct-08-2018, 08:01 AM