Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coding and IDE
i learn better by writing and doing than just reading.im using sololearn to learn python.i couldnt even write the code for a simple calculator..so i think the best thing to do is start with a simple code and go from there.i have several raspberrypis to work with.but need to know what codes are easist to write as well as an IDE to check and test the codes?

thank you all in advance
A good place to start
https://python-forum.io/forum-4.html
I welcome all feedback.
The only dumb question, is one that doesn't get asked.
My Github
How to post code using bbtags

If you have installed Python, you should also have the Python shell called Idle. Just type idle on the command line.

That's the only shell I ever use.

There are many many websites to learn Python. Just look.

I like this one, realpython.com, but I consult many others looking for how to do certain things.

You should (not like me) install a venv, a virtual environment from the beginning. Keep your projects in their own venv.

Also, Python has many modules to do many things. For example, openpyxl for dealing with Excel files.

In my myPython folder I make a folder for every module I use and keep any examples of use of that module there. That way, if you haven't used a module for a while, you have your own personal reference and you will remember the usage much quicker.

Have fun!
Oddly enough, which IDE depends somewhat on what you plan to do. There are a lot of IDEs out there, most are great for what they were designed. So pick one to get started, and you will probably change as time goes on. The comment about using virtual environments above is a good one. So, one option is to install Anaconda. That has a virtual environment manager and supports several IDEs (Spyder, aimed somewhat at scientific computing, two notebook style environments Jupyter Notebook and Jupyter lab, PyCharm, and if you install VSCode that will integrate in).

All depends on what you want to do.
I taught a few Python courses to beginner students and I used Spyder3 IDE which turned out to be very easy for them to manage.
I prefer VS code but have used PyCharm for many years prior to using VS code both are on the top of my list and worth the learning curve which is steeper than most.
But again, like clothing, it's a very personal choice.

For VS code, we have an excellent tutorial here on the forum, see:

VS Code from start