Python Forum
How to do bar graph with positive and negative values different colors?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to do bar graph with positive and negative values different colors?
I've been battling this one for over an hour so I'm going to ask for help.

I have a dataframe column that shows trade results. I want those less than zero to plot red and nonnegative values to plot green. I saw this on SO:

import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

x = np.arange(10)
y = np.arange(10) * 0.1

mask1 = y < 0.5
mask2 = y >= 0.5

plt.bar(x[mask1], y[mask1], color = 'red')
plt.bar(x[mask2], y[mask2], color = 'blue')
plt.show()
Here's my attempt:

plt.figure(figsize=(15, 10))
mask1 = summary_results['ROI%'] < 0
mask2 = summary_results['ROI%'] >= 0
plt.bar(summary_results.index,summary_results['ROI%'][mask1],color = 'r')
plt.bar(summary_results.index,summary_results['ROI%'][mask2],color = 'g')
plt.grid()
plt.show()
This gives ValueError: shape mismatch: objects cannot be broadcast to a single shape .

I think the problem is the number of values either negative or nonnegative are less than the number of total values, which is conveyed by summary_results.index. I'm really not sure what to do with the x-argument. I don't really want to bring the whole index in using this approach--just the index values corresponding to the negative or nonnegative ROI% values, accordingly, as the position for the bar to be plot.

Really, I just want to go down the summary_results['ROI%'] column and plot a bar for each value. I originally thought default would be left to right, but that gave TypeError with one positional argument missing.

Another way I thought of doing this was to have color = colors where colors is a list of 'r' and 'g' depending on whether summary_results['ROI%'] is negative or nonnegative. Seems like I could do this with a list comprehension, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. I can't say if summary_results['ROI%'] < 0 because summary_results['ROI%'] is a dataframe column (Series?) and it doesn't make sense to evaluate a whole series against one value. I really mean to iterate down the series and evaluate each value. So maybe this could be done with a for loop?

colors = []
for i in summary_results['ROI%']:
    if i < 0:
        colors.append('r')
    else:
        colors.append('g')
This could work, but it seemed like the list comprehension would be simpler.

And the mask idea seems nifty... any way to make that work?
This works for the mask approach:
plt.figure(figsize=(15, 10))
mask1 = summary_results['ROI%'] < 0
mask2 = summary_results['ROI%'] >= 0
plt.bar(summary_results.index[mask1],summary_results['ROI%'][mask1],color = 'r')
plt.bar(summary_results.index[mask2],summary_results['ROI%'][mask2],color = 'g')
plt.grid()
plt.show()

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  negative memory usage akbarza 1 44 1 hour ago
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Count image's colors very fast flash77 18 1,587 Mar-05-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  can openpyxl read font colors mperemsky 3 1,754 May-09-2023, 11:18 AM
Last Post: MindKeeper
  Positive integral solutions for Linear Diophantine Equation august 4 1,243 Jan-13-2023, 09:48 PM
  ANSI not working for change of text colors BliepMonster 10 3,418 Nov-10-2022, 09:28 AM
Last Post: BliepMonster
  function accepts infinite parameters and returns a graph with those values edencthompson 0 868 Jun-10-2022, 03:42 PM
Last Post: edencthompson
  is there any tool to convert negative base to int? Skaperen 7 2,419 May-27-2022, 07:30 AM
  Regex: positive lookbehind Secret 2 2,009 Sep-21-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  Plot Back Ground Colors JoeDainton123 0 2,197 Aug-19-2020, 11:09 PM
Last Post: JoeDainton123
  How to fill between the same area with two different colors Staph 0 1,495 Jul-08-2020, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Staph