Python Forum
Setting up and integrating Jupyter Notebook development environment with VSC
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up and integrating Jupyter Notebook development environment with VSC
Hello Pythonistas!

I am trying to set up the Jupyter Notebook extension for VSCode but I can’t get my code snippets to run.

If you check out this YouTube clip at exactly 1 minute and 46 seconds (here - - you can pause it to see the still) this is what I am trying to accomplish.

But here is what my VSCode actually looks like: [Image: abyr9c0.jpg]

As you can see in mine, the “Play” icon to the left of my code snippet is missing. Along the top border, the other “Play All” button is missing.

In Microsoft’s official VSC doc for setting up Jupyter Notebooks, right near the top under this specific heading: “Create or open a Jupyter Notebook” their interface has way more options at the top of the cells when compared to mine. They have buttons named: "Variables", "Restart", "Interrupt". That is expected for Jupyter Notebook funcionality. Mine is missing all of that. Clearly there is something wrong with my setup.

What information could I provide to identify what the misconfiguration issue is with my VSCode environment?
I was looking in other places online like Stack Overflow where users who had ms-python extension installed (which includes Jupyter functionality) and then had additionall stand-alone Jupyter Notebook extensions installed. Apparently if you have multiple installed, they can interfere with each other. So after much wrangling, I resolved to uninstalling all my Jupyter extensions and keeping only the main ms-python extension.

The issue persists.

Any idea what else I could try?

Here is VSC print out a list of currently installed extensions with version numbers:

Quote:$ code --list-extensions --show-versions

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Also posted here: https://discuss.python.org/t/setting-up-...-vsc/18269.
After much wrangling with official and third party VSC extenions on the marketplace, I discovered an answer that required some very straight forward 'out of the box' problem solving: I installed the VSC package in the official Snap repo.

Visual Studio Code and Python-Jupyter are now playing nice together.

The problem is with the VSC package in the repo for my native Manjaro Linux distro I am using.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jupyter notebooks, jupyter kernels, virtual environment created in Anaconda... bytecrunch 8 2,132 Nov-05-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Jupyter Notebook TypeError Holidays entity loader class bmanning20 0 2,644 Jul-20-2023, 06:52 PM
Last Post: bmanning20
  Why does graph look different in Codecademy and Jupyter Notebook abc123456 1 1,451 Mar-29-2023, 09:22 AM
Last Post: newbieAuggie2019
Thumbs Up can't access data from URL in pandas/jupyter notebook aaanoushka 1 1,830 Feb-13-2022, 01:19 PM
Last Post: jefsummers
Exclamation Jupyter Notebook - Help Needed! eyadfr 1 1,808 Jan-26-2022, 06:42 PM
Last Post: jefsummers
  Help needed with Jupyter Notebook eyadfr 4 2,083 Jan-04-2022, 08:20 PM
  HELP! Importing json file into csv into jupyter notebook vilsef 2 2,531 Jan-22-2021, 11:06 AM
  How can draw a real-time marker on map using folium/leaflet Jupyter notebook C3PO 0 2,389 Dec-22-2020, 07:04 PM
Last Post: C3PO
  Python Custom Module not working in Jupyter Notebook with Pandas fid 0 2,006 Jul-04-2020, 11:05 AM
Last Post: fid
  Integrating for the volume of a torus in SciPy Nitram 2 3,636 Jan-08-2020, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Nitram