Python Forum
Is there a good tutorial on installing Python correctly on Windows?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a good tutorial on installing Python correctly on Windows?
I checked several websites discussing Python installation. Some talk about using a "virtual environment". Others do not.

Is there a good tutorial I can use to make sure that I get it installed in the right folder with all of the correct settings?

Thanks
Running Windows 10 & Office 365
Does this one Python 3.9/3.8 and pip installation under Windows cover your requirements?
If you feel it does not, please state what you feel it is lacking and it could be looked into being added/changed.
CynthiaMoore likes this post
(Aug-27-2022, 11:27 AM)Yoriz Wrote: Does this one Python 3.9/3.8 and pip installation under Windows cover your requirements?
If you feel it does not, please state what you feel it is lacking and it could be looked into being added/changed.

I just took a quick look. My initial impression is that it's difficult for a newbie to read. There is a lot of examples (screen shots and code snippets) mixed in with the instructions. My suggestion would be to align the instructions and comments on the left and offset everything else. I'd probably also put the instructions in a distinctive font so they stand out more.

I'll try to follow the instructions in a bit. If I have any more feedback, I'll post after I complete the installation.
Here are a couple of questions I have that seemed to get mixed answers on different websites:

• Where should the code be installed? I read comments about a long path and a shorter (better) path. I was under the impression that Windows is now careful to separate code from data. Isn't all software supposed to go in C:\Program Files?
  • Do I need a separate folder for each Python release? A couple of website said that installing a new release in the same location could make code written under a previous release no longer work.
I have tutorial here,installer(Windows) that Python use now has been the same since Python 3.6.

(Aug-27-2022, 06:42 PM)CynthiaMoore Wrote: Where should the code be installed? I read comments about a long path and a shorter (better) path. I was under the impression that Windows is now careful to separate code from data. Isn't all software supposed to go in C:\Program Files?
I do not like the long default Path that Python install to(hidden bye default):
C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310
Can change install path folder under install(Customize installation ) look at my tutorial,i keep it simple with C:\python310
Can of course choose C:\Program Files\python310.
(Aug-27-2022, 06:42 PM)CynthiaMoore Wrote: Isn't all software supposed to go in C:\Program Files?
No,aslo use AppData folder for many install.
AppData is the way Python has choose,i understand the reason(some security reason too).
Also create trouble for People we have many Threads about on this forum,
is natural that People want look at where Python is installed and the files it has.
(Aug-27-2022, 06:42 PM)CynthiaMoore Wrote: Do I need a separate folder for each Python release?
Yes always install to separate folders.
It's most easy to have Windows point to Environment Variables Path the Python version that use most.
There also py(that comes with Python) that can easy access all version from python.org.
# Version i have installed.
E:\div_code
λ py --list
Installed Pythons found by py Launcher for Windows
 -3.10-64 *
 -3.9-64
 -3.7-32
 -3.6-32
 -3.4-32
 -2.7-32

# Access the dead one
λ py -2.7-32 -V
Python 2.7.9

#Just <py> always the lasted install
λ py -V
Python 3.10.5

# For all commands
λ py --help
I have lot of stuff install like Anaconda,Miniconda,PyPy,Winpython...ect as i help and test out installation problem People have on this forum.
It's not a problem with conflicts if just understand the basic of how Windows works and see Python trough Environment Variables Path.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Basic] Basic Python Tutorial (Playlist) coffeejunkie34 0 851 Sep-28-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: coffeejunkie34
  Complete Python Tutorial jamessidis 2 5,271 Dec-04-2020, 07:48 PM
Last Post: khalifa
  [Basic] Python Tutorial for Beginners MK_CodingSpace 0 2,204 Dec-03-2020, 09:43 PM
Last Post: MK_CodingSpace
  Python Scrapy Tutorial Knight18 0 3,951 Oct-19-2020, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Knight18
  [Basic] The ‘Pythonic’ Python Tutorial! TheMachinePreacher 5 8,057 Mar-12-2020, 09:20 PM
Last Post: DimaBereza
  12 mini games python tutorial series ninedeadeyes 2 2,428 Feb-16-2020, 11:18 PM
Last Post: ninedeadeyes
  [Basic] Python Tutorial for Beginners in One Lesson (98 minutes) artur_m 0 4,035 Jan-23-2020, 09:15 AM
Last Post: artur_m
  Complete Python 3 Tutorial Series KodeBlog 0 5,176 Sep-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Last Post: KodeBlog
  Tutorial for Python, Flask > data into a form Ecniv 1 2,416 May-01-2019, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Python tutorial on learning & creating your own LRU Cache :) ncorbuk 0 3,494 Jan-26-2019, 08:28 PM
Last Post: ncorbuk