Python Forum
Need help i just started the whole thing
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help i just started the whole thing
Hello my name is Gabriel. I have Just with the whole thing of python, and am very interested in the thing i don't even know how to pull up the terminal for python or even know if there is one can someone please help me and guide my thru the whole process to see if i have corrected installed python and pulling up the thing i cant seem to get it to work.

Thanks.
Hello Gabriel.
Welcome to Python :-)

So it sounds to me like you have already downloaded Python from python.org and installed it. If you have not you can download it here
Install is straight forward. Double click on the installer and click through the prompts. If it asks you if you want to add Python to your paths say yes

To test if Python is now working open either a Command Prompt or Powershell and type in python --version

If your install is working it should return something like
Output:
python 3.10.6
If you get an error instead you might not have your python path added to your system environments. To do this you'll need to know where your Python was installed. Mine was installed to C:\Users\<my_user_name>\AppData\Program\Python\Python310, but that might be something I chose, I'm not sure. Add your install path to the path variable in Environment Variables

At this point, you can just type Python into the Command Prompt and you'll be able to type in code to play around, but if you want to actually write and save a program you'll need to download an IDE next. Luckily Python has one designed just for it called PyCharm

Hope this helps
What operating system are you using?
(Sep-06-2022, 07:44 AM)deanhystad Wrote: What operating system are you using?

I'm using Windows.
If you're using Mac I'm sure the process isn't much different. Let me know and I'll try to help further.
What os is @gabriel789 using? The largest (or maybe just the noisiest) group of Python programmers are not using Windows or Mac OS.
(Sep-06-2022, 07:44 AM)deanhystad Wrote: What operating system are you using?
Parrot os
Parrot OS is a version of Debian which is a Linux distribution. Linux has a "system Python" that is used by the OS. You should not use the system Python for learning how to program. Instead of using the system Python you should install a virtual environment. This is an approachable writeup that talks about the reasons for using a virtual environment and how to install one and use it.

https://towardsdatascience.com/virtual-e...8da8982d4b

Once you have your virtual environment set up you can start programming Python. Python comes with a very basic IDE (Interactive Development Environment) named IDLE. IDLE is not a very good IDE, but I think it is quite adequate for starting to learn Python. This is a nice writeup on using IDLE.

https://realpython.com/python-idle/
(Sep-07-2022, 08:14 PM)deanhystad Wrote: Parrot OS is a version of Debian which is a Linux distribution. Linux has a "system Python" that is used by the OS. You should not use the system Python for learning how to program. Instead of using the system Python you should install a virtual environment. This is an approachable writeup that talks about the reasons for using a virtual environment and how to install one and use it.

https://towardsdatascience.com/virtual-e...8da8982d4b

Once you have your virtual environment set up you can start programming Python. Python comes with a very basic IDE (Interactive Development Environment) named IDLE. IDLE is not a very good IDE, but I think it is quite adequate for starting to learn Python. This is a nice writeup on using IDLE.

https://realpython.com/python-idle/
i found out that i had successfully downloaded python on to my computer while using parrot os. there is a thing they are talking about on this forum called pycharm can you tell me how to download it
I think Parrot OS comes with Python 3.9 (assuming you recently installed Parrot OS). That is new enough that there's really no reason to install a different Python (there is a Python 3.10 now). But you do not want to use the Python that came with Parrrot OS. Treat that Python like it is part of the operating system. Create a virtual environment for doing your own Python program. If you use PyCharm it almost forces you to create a virtual environment.

Go to www.jetbrains.com to download PyCharm community edition. It's free.

https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/downlo...tion=linux
a virtual environment meaning creating a virtual box

(Sep-07-2022, 08:58 PM)deanhystad Wrote: Create a virtual environment for doing your own Python program.
when you say virtual environment you mean like virtualbox

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am confused with the key and value thing james1019 3 977 Feb-22-2023, 10:43 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Cannot get started standenman 4 1,222 Feb-22-2023, 05:25 PM
Last Post: standenman
  i making a terminal sign up website thing Kenrichppython 1 1,711 Nov-04-2021, 03:57 AM
Last Post: bowlofred
  use thing before self sylvanas 3 2,351 Jul-21-2021, 04:54 PM
Last Post: sylvanas
  Not able to make a specific thing pause in pygame cooImanreebro 4 3,230 Dec-13-2020, 10:34 PM
Last Post: cooImanreebro
  Can't even get started dr6 1 1,623 Aug-18-2020, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Help with list thing please Yeyzon 1 2,061 Apr-19-2019, 07:51 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  Printing one thing from a list bidoofis 1 2,352 Feb-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Last Post: ichabod801
  Getting started mba_110 0 1,736 Jan-18-2019, 05:23 PM
Last Post: mba_110
  I found weird thing. catastrophe_K 1 2,104 Sep-29-2018, 09:59 AM
Last Post: gruntfutuk