Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the term arguments
hey,
why is the given term of "arguments" is signifying both when 'people fight verbally' and 'parameters',
is there a connection between the two ?

english is not my mother tongue/language and sometimes there are gaps of understanding certain terms,
this can be quite confusing at times...
It's quite likely because arguments can mean a series of statements, or facts to show that something is true (or false).
Sig:
>>> import this

The UNIX philosophy: "Do one thing, and do it well."

"The danger of computers becoming like humans is not as great as the danger of humans becoming like computers." :~ Konrad Zuse

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." :~ Albert Einstein
ahh, that's a nice way to put it,

still it's not totally clear to me - arguments is something you load into a function, thus, it is being 'digested' in a way through the 'body' of the function....ahh ayurica - i just got it
see # 6 https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/argument
ok, i read it, i think the word Value is much more appropriate...

the word argument on its own has such a negative connotation.
But 'value' is kind of fixed, don't you think?

A dollar bill has a 'value' (or not, depending on your views), whereas 'argument' is more fluid.

Don't confuse argument with fighting; they're not the same thing. One can have a well reasoned argument, without fighting.
Sig:
>>> import this

"The danger of computers becoming like humans is not as great as the danger of humans becoming like computers." :~ Konrad Zuse

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." :~ Albert Einstein
why would it be fixed ?
stocks have value, which is changing continuously, and actually so is every currency...a value can change...it varies...like a variable...

but i got what you're saying....

(just saw you added some additional info) -

can you imagine to be - a calm argument ?
I get what you're saying, also. I see an argument as more conceptual, but then again, English is my native language: it must be much harder for those (such as yourself) for whom English is not native.

I take my hat off to you and others learning Python as well as English; it's can't be easy doing both.
Sig:
>>> import this

hehe...yea, it's good to learn languages.....

my native language is hebrew, but in english there is much greater variety of words than in hebrew, it's a richer language (in the number of ways you can express the nuance you want),
so i can basically say i know english better than hebrew,
after that i know some basic russian (there are many russians in israel), i think i know about 500 words - although a russian friend of mine says i know at least 1,000....i take it as a compliment,
after that i know a little of arabic, enough to get by in an arabic village hehe : )
Wow!!! That's impressive.

Like most people, for whom English is a native language, I've never bothered to learn another; not something that I'm proud of. I did learn a little German, before a trip to Austria, but that was some time ago.

English is a very rich Language, as you point out, with a mix of Greek, Latin, et al.

Your English is very good; better than some natives that I know of: props to you!
Sig:
>>> import this

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Short-term rental housing management jacombo 0 234 Mar-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: jacombo