Python Forum
Problem with virtual environment
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with virtual environment
I think I have failed to set up my virtual environment correctly. I am now unable to access any pip installed packages. I have the following directory: C:\Users\stand\PDFExtractTest\venv. In venv I have a file extract.py that I am trying to run in VS Code. It worked a few times, and now does not even though I made no changes.
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.auth.credentials import Credentials
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.exception.exceptions import ServiceApiException, ServiceUsageException, SdkException
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.pdfops.options.extractpdf.extract_pdf_options import ExtractPDFOptions
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.pdfops.options.extractpdf.extract_element_type import ExtractElementType
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.pdfops.options.extractpdf.extract_renditions_element_type import \
    ExtractRenditionsElementType
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.pdfops.options.extractpdf.table_structure_type import TableStructureType
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.execution_context import ExecutionContext
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.io.file_ref import FileRef
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.pdfops.extract_pdf_operation import ExtractPDFOperation

import os.path
import zipfile
import json

output_zip = "./ExtractTextInfoFromPDF.zip"

if os.path.isfile(output_zip):
    os.remove(output_zip)

input_pdf = "C:/Users/stand/PDFExtractTest/venv/Docshospitals.pdf"

try:

#Initial setup, create credentials instance.
    credentials = Credentials.service_account_credentials_builder()\
        .from_file("C:/Users/stand/PDFExtractTest/venv/pdfservices-api-credentials.json") \
        .build()

#Create an ExecutionContext using credentials and create a new operation instance.
    execution_context = ExecutionContext.create(credentials)
    extract_pdf_operation = ExtractPDFOperation.create_new()

#Set operation input from a source file.
    source = FileRef.create_from_local_file(input_pdf)
    extract_pdf_operation.set_input(source)

# Build ExtractPDF options and set them into the operation
    extract_pdf_options: ExtractPDFOptions = ExtractPDFOptions.builder() \
        .with_elements_to_extract([ExtractElementType.TEXT, ExtractElementType.TABLES]) \
        .with_element_to_extract_renditions(ExtractRenditionsElementType.TABLES) \
        .with_table_structure_format(TableStructureType.CSV) \
        .build()
    extract_pdf_operation.set_options(extract_pdf_options)

#Build ExtractPDF options and set them into the operation
    #extract_pdf_options: ExtractPDFOptions = ExtractPDFOptions.builder() \
     #   .with_element_to_extract(ExtractElementType.TEXT) \
     #   .build()
   # extract_pdf_operation.set_options(extract_pdf_options)

#Execute the operation.
    result: FileRef = extract_pdf_operation.execute(execution_context)

#Save the result to the specified location.
    result.save_as(output_zip)

print("Successfully extracted information from PDF. Printing H1 Headers:\n");

archive = zipfile.ZipFile(output_zip, 'r')
    jsonentry = archive.open('structuredData.json')
    jsondata = jsonentry.read()
    data = json.loads(jsondata)
    for element in data["elements"]:
        if(element["Path"].endswith("/H1")):
            print(element["Text"])

except (ServiceApiException, ServiceUsageException, SdkException):
    logging.exception("Exception encountered while executing operation")
Import statements to adobe.pdfservices all indicate that "the import could not be resolved". I trotted over to my python installation, using a pip list in scripts file and find that I indeed have pdfservices-sdk 2.1.2 there. I have python path set in environmental variable. And indeed, just to test I tried to import some other packages sitting there and none "pop up" as I type them in after "import". Have I done something wrong with the virtual environment thing?
You need to activate your virtual environment. If you are using a IDE, you might have set the python interpreter.

What is your system? What OS are you using? If using an IDE, which one? Do you python from the command line?
(Feb-23-2023, 06:48 PM)deanhystad Wrote: You need to activate your virtual environment. If you are using a IDE, you might have set the python interpreter.

What is your system? What OS are you using? If using an IDE, which one? Do you python from the command line?

Thanks for your prompt answer. I should have been paying better attention - some setting for "trusted pages" with VS Code - apparently that was the problem.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with creating folder and "virtual environment" AudunNilsen 1 249 Mar-21-2024, 04:41 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Installing python packages in a virtual environment Led_Zeppelin 1 773 Aug-15-2023, 08:18 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
Question Virtual Environment (using VS Code) Ashcora 4 14,124 Feb-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  How do I link the virtual environment of that project to the 3.9.2 version of python? Bryant11 1 1,378 Feb-26-2022, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Project structure with a virtual environment gdbengo 1 1,449 Jan-26-2022, 03:22 PM
  Virtual environment path? Led_Zeppelin 1 2,315 Jul-22-2021, 01:40 PM
  virtual environment heye 4 2,483 Jul-04-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
  import statement in a virtual environment leodavinci1990 1 2,371 Mar-04-2021, 12:57 AM
  Virtual environment and upgrading python 3.5 to 3.9 NeilUK 4 12,165 Jan-24-2021, 01:02 PM
  Not able to set up a virtual environment with venv mohanp06 7 13,859 Oct-27-2020, 12:18 PM