Python Forum
The INSERT permission was denied on the object
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The INSERT permission was denied on the object
Hi,
I'm trying to use Python to insert data into a SQL Server. pyodbc
I'm basically using python to export data from Server1 & Import into Server 2. with the same database / table names.
I hold the data in a dataframe called DATA
The export works & I can see the rows in my DATA dataframe.
When I try to import the data using the following code to Server 2 I receive an error

Error:
ProgrammingError: ('42000', "[42000] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]The INSERT permission was denied on the object 'dimEmployee', database 'MIS_DM_Common', schema 'conform'. (229) (SQLExecDirectW)")
My test python INSERT code
for index, row in DATA.iterrows():
     cursor.execute("INSERT INTO MIS_DM_Common.conform.DimEmployee (EmployeeConfKey,SalaryNumberWWWGDWEmployeeKey,WWWEmployeeID,WWWEmployeeNumber,Surname,FirstName,Middlename,PreferredName,EmployeeTitle,CurrentActiveIndicator,InsertEventLogKey,UpdateEventLogKey) values('1','B','C','D','E','F','G','H','I','J','1','1','1')")
connectionB.commit()
cursor.close()
I've checked that I have permission on SQL server.
in Microsoft SQL Server Manager Studio I can execute & it works fine
INSERT INTO MIS_DM_Common.conform.DimEmployee (EmployeeConfKey,SalaryNumber,WWWGDWEmployeeKey,WWWEmployeeID,WWWEmployeeNumber,Surname,FirstName,Middlename,PreferredName,EmployeeTitle,CurrentActiveIndicator,InsertEventLogKey,UpdateEventLogKey)
values('1','B','C','D','E','F','G','H','I','J','1','1','1');
(1 row affected)

Checking with shows that the data has been inserted, so I know I have write permissions.
SELECT * FROM MIS_DM_Common.conform.DimEmployee
I've also ensured that I've ran the following on SQL server, as EmployeeConfKey is a PK that I want to specify.
SET IDENTITY_INSERT MIS_DM_Common.conform.DimEmployee ON
My python connection works as I execute a COUNT query on Server2 before executing the INSERT & everything works.

I've also used this code on a 2nd project (Moving data from Server1 to Server2 (but a different table)) & it has worked successfully. My other project did not have a PK as a sequential number, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the PK.

Thanks in advance.
Steven
Do you think you have two database connections st the same time? Can you show that code?
(Feb-25-2023, 08:11 PM)deanhystad Wrote: Do you think you have two database connections st the same time? Can you show that code?

You were correct.
I did not close Server1 correctly & used the same code for Server2.

Thanks for the info..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  KivyMD android app - problem with permission polak7gt 0 298 Jan-18-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: polak7gt
  Potential Permission error on Mac OSX Catalina OWOLLC 1 726 Nov-02-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: unjnsacih
  logging: change log file permission with RotatingFileHandler erg 0 1,050 Aug-09-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: erg
  access is denied error 5 for network drive mapping ? ahmedbarbary 2 1,820 Aug-17-2022, 10:09 PM
Last Post: ahmedbarbary
  Server Folder Error : WinError5 Access Denied fioranosnake 1 1,134 Jun-21-2022, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Permission issue when using scapy jao 3 9,860 Feb-05-2022, 06:14 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  AttributeError: 'Node' object has no attribute 'insert' Anldra12 4 6,472 May-11-2021, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Anldra12
  Error no 13: Permission denied in python shantanu97 1 6,191 Mar-31-2021, 02:15 PM
  Access denied not able to do anything 8( What do i do? MurphysLaw 3 3,781 Oct-20-2020, 08:16 AM
  How a Mac OS software can restart itself with admin permission in Python 3.7? Formationgrowthhacking 0 1,789 Sep-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Formationgrowthhacking