Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
appending to a bytearray
i cannot find a way to append a bytes string to a bytearray other than += operator. is that the way it has to be done? bytearray.append() gives an error exception message saying it wants an int. apparently it only takes one at a time:
Output:
>>> ab=bytearray(b'foobar') >>> ab.append(120) >>> ab bytearray(b'foobarx') >>> ab.append(121,122) Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> TypeError: append() takes exactly one argument (2 given) >>> ab.append([121,122]) Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> TypeError: 'list' object cannot be interpreted as an integer >>> ab.append(121) >>> ab.append(122) >>> ab bytearray(b'foobarxyz') >>>
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
It is just like a list. append() for adding 1 value, extend() for adding many.
x = bytearray(b"bytes")
x.extend(b" and more bytes")
print(x)
Output:
bytearray(b'bytes and more bytes')
Skaperen likes this post
thank you. i was thinking of a string, such as bytearray, as "one" value, so i never thought of .extend().

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
another way to extend a bytearray is with a slice:
Output:
lt1a/forums/3 /home/forums 13> py Python 3.8.10 (default, Nov 14 2022, 12:59:47) [GCC 9.4.0] on linux Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>> x = bytearray(b"bytes") >>> x[len(x):]=b" and more bytes" >>> print(x) bytearray(b'bytes and more bytes') >>>
an even uglier way:
Output:
>>> print(x) bytearray(b'bytes and more bytes') >>> x[:]=x+b'and even more bytes' >>> print(x) bytearray(b'bytes and more bytesand even more bytes') >>>
but it's not that much uglier. and i bet these ways can be done with list (and tuples?).

edit:

yeah, i should'a put a space in there.

A bytes object is one object, but so is a list. Both are iterable which is why they can be used as an argument to extend().
(Mar-09-2023, 11:47 PM)deanhystad Wrote: A bytes object is one object, but so is a list. Both are iterable which is why they can be used as an argument to extend().
can i use any iterator that produces the expected types (just about anything for a list) as an argument in .extend()?

Output:
>>> help(bytearray.extend) Help on method_descriptor: extend(self, iterable_of_ints, /) Append all the items from the iterator or sequence to the end of the bytearray. iterable_of_ints The iterable of items to append.
what did i do wrong with this? how do i fix it?
Output:
>>> >>> b=bytearray() >>> for x in bytearray(b'abc'): ... b.extend(x) ... Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module> TypeError: can't extend bytearray with int >>>

x is a byte. b'abc' is iterable.. You append(byte) and extend(iterable)
so, how do i fix b.extend(x) to make it work, such that b ends up with whatever followed in in the loop control?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Value error when converting hex value to bytearray shubhamjainj 7 10,562 Mar-20-2023, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Split Bytearray into separate Files by Hex delimter lastyle 5 2,676 Mar-09-2023, 07:49 AM
Last Post: bowlofred
  Save multiple Parts of Bytearray to File ? lastyle 1 961 Dec-10-2022, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  bytearray object - why converting to ascii? Chepilo 2 1,643 Nov-21-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Chepilo
  Bytearray substitution Vismuto 1 2,628 Apr-14-2020, 09:18 AM
Last Post: TomToad
  int() function with bytearray() Jona66 1 2,405 Sep-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Last Post: ichabod801
  Conversion needed from bytearray to Floating point braveYug 1 4,130 May-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Windows DIB format in bytearray to image? dusca 2 2,772 Mar-28-2018, 10:35 PM
Last Post: dusca
  Bytearray questions mattps 2 14,412 Mar-25-2018, 06:54 AM
Last Post: mattps
  ByteArray outside while true Schampbakken 5 4,390 Feb-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Last Post: buran