Python Forum
Feeling pretty discouraged
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feeling pretty discouraged
I have done some console programming in several languages like C++, Python, C#, and Java. Had fun with it but I feel like I'd like to start doing some simple Windows GUI programming. I've had so far the most success with Visual C# using Visual Studio.

I recently tried using Borland (Embarcadero) C++ Builder and although I like the language and syntax I fear it may not be the best choice. There were very few books ever written on the subject, and some of the people on the form I asked questions on acted like pompous jerks.

I'm just a amateur hobbyist. Really a guitar player and musician, but I like to program as a side hobby.

And then I took about a year or more off because my depression causes me to lose interest in things, and that's what happened last winter. I did nothing.

I'm wondering if I should start writing Python console programs all over again so I can refresh my brain with the language before starting to write GUI's.

And then I'm wondering if I should just hard code the GUI (write the code myself once I learn what to write) or use a GUI designer like Glade.

Any thoughts?
I decided to get back into my Python Programming. I don't think C++ is the way to go. Better alternatives have come out since then.
If I may suggest, I found writing GUI apps in Python particularly fun using wxPython (see wxpython.org). Mike Driscoll has an excellent blog (https://www.blog.pythonlibrary.org/about/) as well as an also excellent book, Creating GUI Applications with wxPython. There are a couple of GUI builders available, the easiest of which is wxGlade.
Thanks for the tips.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pretty cool, hah wavic 2 2,530 Nov-14-2018, 06:52 PM
Last Post: wavic
  A pretty good Book listing snippsat 4 5,307 Nov-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Larz60+