Python Forum
Effeciency of passing XML tree object as function arguments
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Effeciency of passing XML tree object as function arguments
Hi all, 

Is it efficient to pass an object returned by lxml.etree.parse("a.xml") as argument to other functions? Is the object returned a C pointer-like mechanism referring to the in-memory tree representation of XML? Or is it something else? Will it cause any performance issues down the line? I expect the size of the tree when taken in-memory could be around 15 MB. 

I am planning to write multiple functions to process each child node and its sub-child nodes. To each function. I will be passing the object corresponding to child node. 

Thanks
Sandeep
You can think of all Python variables as pointers. Passing parameters won't be a problem. You can test this yourself too, if you'd like, by passing a list to a function, mutating it within the function (without returning it), and observing the side effect outside the function as evidence that the same object was passed around.
(Oct-11-2016, 07:39 AM)sandeepvl Wrote: Hi all, 

Is it efficient to pass an object returned by lxml.etree.parse("a.xml") as argument to other functions? Is the object returned a C pointer-like mechanism referring to the in-memory tree representation of XML? Or is it something else? Will it cause any performance issues down the line? I expect the size of the tree when taken in-memory could be around 15 MB. 

I am planning to write multiple functions to process each child node and its sub-child nodes. To each function. I will be passing the object corresponding to child node. 

Thanks
Sandeep

Definitely the most complete answer you'll get on the subject:

Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
(Oct-11-2016, 09:13 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(Oct-11-2016, 07:39 AM)sandeepvl Wrote: Hi all, 

Thanks
Sandeep

Definitely the most complete answer you'll get on the subject:

Thanks a lot for that video. It helped a lot. Really an eye opener.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Passing writable arguments to functions. Assembler 11 820 Jan-15-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: sgrey
  calling external function with arguments Wimpy_Wellington 7 1,344 Jul-05-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  cx_oracle Error - AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'cursor' birajdarmm 1 2,211 Apr-15-2023, 05:17 PM
  passing dictionary to the function mark588 2 932 Dec-19-2022, 07:28 PM
  Passing string functions as arguments Clunk_Head 3 1,207 Jun-15-2022, 06:00 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'metadata 3lnyn0 5 4,522 Mar-28-2022, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  'namespace' shorthand for function arguments? shadowphile 5 2,541 Aug-11-2021, 09:02 PM
Last Post: shadowphile
  Checking the number of arguments a function takes Chirumer 3 2,111 Jul-06-2021, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Chirumer
  Passing flags to python script, through a function xbit 4 3,874 Apr-20-2021, 06:32 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
  how to call an object in another function in Maya bstout 0 2,042 Apr-05-2021, 07:12 PM
Last Post: bstout