Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PythonWin.exe
I just had Python 2.7 and pythonWin 2.7 downloaded on my companies server, we use Citrix. I can't find the PythonWin.exe file. My coworker has a stand alone GIS and has no problem with using his python. I searched the whole server using explore, my IT guy gave up on me, he thinks it's a Python issue and not Citrix. The ESRI class I"m taking says it should be here C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages, the C drive being on a server not my hard drive. I read on an ESRI forum to download this pywin32-218.win-amd64-py2.7, I did, however when I went to "run" it, it says I don't have Python 2.7, I do. I'm at a loss, I really would like to learn python but I can't get started without having pythonWin.
Please help!

thanks for your time

Niki

my code here
Quote:downloaded on my companies server
was it also installed on the server?
download is just that, it does not automatically install.
i know it was downloaded and he did run it, i have the whole huge pythonWin folder I just never could find the .exe file to run it
It probably neither's fault. Is there a reason you cannot install Python on your own computer rather that the server?
Quote: it should be here C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages
is where it should most likely be on your computer. If that is it's location on the server, that won't be the location on your computer but rather a 'mapped' drive, for example "e:\python27\", and provided of course that the admin has given you permission to use that directory. Once you establish it's true location, you should add it to your "Environmental Variables" so your computer knows where to find it.  If all is set up correctly, you should be able to open a "command terminal" and type "python" --> Enter, and get a screen similar to this:

Output:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\>python Python 3.6.2 (v3.6.2:5fd33b5, Jul  8 2017, 04:57:36) [MSC v.1900 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>>
Yours, of course would be "E:\>python" (or whatever the drive letter is).

Two other things to consider, as you are just starting out, you should really use the most current version available to you, Python's current release is 3.6.2. Second, you don't need pythonWin to learn Python, it is just an IDE and there are many out there. You could even use any plain text program to write your code, such as Notepad (or better, Notepad++).
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Thanks so much for your answer, I am trying to get with our IT, I apparently do not have the authority to add to Environmental Variables. The company I work for is super strick on every aspect of the computer. I will also look to use a different IDE.

Thanks again!

niki
I don't know how helpful it will be, I'm not familiar with cloud based servers such as Citrix.  Maybe another member has or does use them and can be more specific. For instance, I don't know what OS Citrix is running, is it Windows, Linux, Unix, something else? Do you need to login to access Citrix or is it automatic when you login to your desk computer (which, I presume is Windows). In either case, are you presented with a Citrix desktop, some type of command terminal or just a bunch of directories and files?  My guess as to why your IT guy can "run" it is because he is doing so as Administrator/root or he is a member of the group.  Again, though, I'm just guessing.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition