Python Forum
Have I chosen the wrong career path?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have I chosen the wrong career path?
I chose a degree in programming solely bc its the only thing my local community college offered that was of any interest to me. Besides, I've played games my whole life, so I figured that it would be good for me to go into making them. I do have quite a bit of experience with them after all. But as I've been taking classes, I've been thinking that I shouldn't be doing this. A few weeks ago I decided that I wouldn't bother to pursue a bachelor's degree (which would be required if I did go into game production), and now I'm thinking that I won't even bother to try and find a job when I do get my degree.

Of course, my instructor keeps talking about what the industry is actually like. Well if you're a programmer, you don't get to choose what you do. You're a slave and you do exactly what you're told and that's that. The people who work under won't know shit about programming, even if you do go into game production. Yeah, game developers typically don't know the first thing about code themselves. And if they ask you to do something that is honest to god impossible, too bad, you're fired. You're not going to have a stable job, you're going to be overworked, and you're going to be mistreated by everyone. And of course no matter what I do, I'm just going to end up wearing a fucking suit in an office.

Also, I was required to take a class at the start of my first semester (well, the first one for my current degree, I was going for another degree two years ago, and I also took classes years before that). In that class they had us do some kind of career assessment thing. Mine told me essentially that programming is completely contrary to who I am. And really, it is.

If anyone cares, I was planning on becoming a novel writer. Well, I ended up in a terrible situation that I only recently got out of. And now the entire market has caved in, thanks to self-publishing. If you publish anything, you won't make a penny off of it, and you won't even get noticed. The only way you'll ever maker a single cent off of writing is if your book is turned into a movie, and with the literally billions of novels that have been published in just the past few years, the chances of you getting even notice for that to happen are none. Yeah, you could never live off of it. But it was a nice supplement to your income. Now, its just a waste of time. You'll just be spending hours a day daydreaming when you could be doing something that will actually get food on your plate, and even when you do publish the damned thing no one's going to read it anyway.

And of course programming is pretty much the only job still available, thanks to worthless disgusting programmers who are hell-bent on destroying every job a human could possibly have. Even when I do finish my degree, I may not be able to find work anyway with how many people are going into it.

I don't know what to do with my life. All I know is I'm currently on completely the wrong track. Of all the things I want to do in life, the last thing I need is to be a wage slave to some psychopath in a fucking office wearing a fucking suit.

Yeah, I'm upset. Sue me. And I don't have anyone I could talk to about this. I mean, who could you talk to about your career? Besides, I've already changed majors once, I'll completely destroy my chances of getting a job if I change it again, assuming that doing so doesn't cause me to lose my financial aid, which is the sole reason i can even afford college in the first place.
Hey friend,
I read your post and felt that you are really confused what to do in your life.
Don't be upset, career is a major problem for majority of people over the planet.:)
I want to say one important thing to you that if you can write all these things in this forum, you are very fortunate than lots of people on the earth who don't have even access to food,water and even basic need to live, leave aside computer and internet. You should be thankful to god for whatever you have in your life.

For your career in Programming or as a Writer, I would say that just close your eyes and ask yourself "why" you want to be a Programmer or a Writer. First clear your "Why", your purpose to be a programmer or a writer, then start your career.
Ask yourself that do you feel happy while programming or writing ? Is programming or writing your first love ? Always work towards your first love as your career. If you think that programming is not your first love then leave that. You have to change yourself, the world will change for you.
Set a definite goal for you in your life and work towards that goal continuously and one important thing try to surround yourself with people more intelligent and successful than you and who will help to reach to your goal. If you fail then don't consider it as failure, take it as a learning experience.
As far as your novel is concerned, I think it was a good example of bad marketing.
Think about it...
I started in engineering, and learned quickly that I wanted to be a programmer.

If you like writing, don't let a slow selling book stop you. Success rarely comes without
some struggles. Stick with it, and as Sager points out, find a better marketing outlet.

If becoming a programmer is a real desire, and not just a passing one, then do it!
I would have to say welcome to life. When your a kid you think you go to college, get a job in a field, love job, live happily ever after. That is not how it always works. There are a lot of people who dont do in life what they went to college for making going to college only a personal experience VS education.

In fact, my wife just finished college a year ago and cant even find a job. She is taking a cashier job at a local grocery store which is the same thing a 16 year old can do. However she enjoys that job and would rather work this at low pay and be happy, than take a job that requires her degree like a social worker and feel like executing herself everyday at work.

I am a strong believer in doing what makes you happy. Even if its not a lot of money. Because if your doing what makes you happy, you are happy poor person. And thats much better than being a rich dick who hates their job. Of course you still have to pay bills. So some times you just have to suck it up and take a job that sucks and hope for the best later. You can make a crappy job better by changing your attitude.

I wouldnt worry about "getting noticed" as a novel writer. If that is what you love to do, then do it. If it doesnt pay the bills, then work a crappy job (whatever that might be) while writing in your free time. Or if you can afford it, do part time work and suck up the money loss, and spend time on your novels instead. You can actually live off very little income. Our American culture has beaten it into us that the more money you make the happier you are. That you can buy more things, etc. Its bullshit. For example you dont really need a vehicle if you live wihin a couple miles of your job, etc. Which is money saved. And a penny saved is a penny earned.
Recommended Tutorials:
The only things I really enjoy doing is listening to music and playing games. So no, I can't make any money doing what I actually enjoy. I wanted to be a writer long ago because I enjoyed storytelling (mostly because I watched TV too much, which I don't at all anymore btw). Now, its more because its the only thing I'm good at.
Every single American would would rather listen to music or play games and get paid for it. Actually some do. But it really does not take any skill to do so. And the chances of getting a job like that is as slim as becoming a rock star. Playing games has no effect on your life other than helping become a couch potato. I know this from experience, trust me. Neither really does listening to music. You can never really rely on actually getting a job that would require you to listen to music or play video games, etc. Thats not a career, but a hobby.

However making music is a different story. So is making games. Thats not being a couch potato. You have to find something that can make a little money that you like doing. Sometimes people dont know what that is until 20 years old, some 30, etc. The only way to find what that is; is to experience different things. Try as much stuff as you can. Take jobs to find out what you like about them, and what you hate. Not everyone is going to know what their career is going to be right after high school.
Recommended Tutorials:
Oh, so you had an instructor who had a bad job, and now just complains about it all the time. My sister's been a programmer since the 80s. She actually quit for a while to spend more time with her son, but when he got to high school age she went back to work because she enjoys it.

Have you talked to anyone else in the programming industry about what it's like? Yeah, some of the jobs suck. Some of them don't. At my last job, we had programmers. None of them had to wear a suit and tie. Of course, none of them had even a cubicle, just some space on a table.

Are you sure you want to write a novel? I thought I did. Then I tried to write one, and realized I hate writing novels. It turns out I prefer poetry. That's right, poetry. So you don't get to whine to me about how hard it is to make money off your writing. Yeah, it's hard to make a living off it. But you can make money off it without making a movie. My best friend from grade school does. Or you can survive on a low budget. That's what my brother does as a cartoonist.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Sep-07-2017, 05:59 PM)xBlackHeartx Wrote: The only things I really enjoy doing is listening to music and playing games. So no, I can't make any money doing what I actually enjoy. I wanted to be a writer long ago because I enjoyed storytelling (mostly because I watched TV too much, which I don't at all anymore btw). Now, its more because its the only thing I'm good at.

I can identify your problem. Firstly you have to detach yourself from T.V and games. They are just brain washing you in a negative way and ruining your life. Instead I recommend you to read good books not necessarily related to programming, gain some knowledge about different things initially and ask yourself what you love to do now.
If you don't have any work to do, then simply get out of your home and observe people (and try to approach people, talk to them). See what and how people are doing things, what problem they are facing and how could you solve their problems.
Gain knowledge and go for positive brain washing which will be in your control. To be successful you have to work atleast 11 to 12 hours daily towards a fixed and definite goal and you have to focus on your work.
Do atleast 30 minutes of quality physical exercise daily.
I am sure you will be a successful man. All the best.
I've been doing it since the late 60's. I've always loved it.
Got burnt out once and took two years off, but even then, I wrote
code for entertainment.

The only thing that I really disliked was when I worked for someone who
had absolutely zero experience writing code, but insisted on me doing something
that was doomed from the start.
If you like music, then you could still make use of your degree.

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_software
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic...instrument

You might consider getting some experience
by contributing to open-source projects.

- https://lmms.io
- https://www.audacityteam.org/about/
- https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonInMusic

There are jobs that involve listening to music:

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_engineer
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_producer
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_sound_mixing
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_jockey
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_personality
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_restoration

Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python career recommendations skarface19 0 432 Jan-04-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: skarface19
  Starting New Programming Career after 50 MCL169 4 1,361 Jan-25-2023, 04:29 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Is being a Python Developer a good career choice? ankitdixit 1 2,158 May-31-2021, 05:13 AM
Last Post: ankitdixit
  Career step with Python izildop 0 1,444 Dec-26-2019, 09:41 PM
Last Post: izildop
  Feasible career change mccarthyemmet 2 3,321 Sep-20-2017, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Larz60+