Python Forum
What framework to select for application
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What framework to select for application
i want to create an application using the python language which I really love. I already looked into some tutorials about different GUI designers for python, but I am not getting really into it when I am just trying around, so maybe someone can give me a hint...

What I have planned and requirements:
  • First step is a Windows only application
  • It should get a modern look, not that classic gui standards from 1998 :)
  • Don't know if this is relevant for the GUI tool, but the application will need an database system.
  • Possiblities to port the application to other systems in future, like MacOs, iOS, Android...
  • Enough documentation to get into it without stucking around, I have enough python experience, but without GUI.
  • Python 3 +
Thanks for help in advance
http://insights.dice.com/2017/08/07/7-to...or-2017-2/

With the most popular being Kivy, WxPython or PyQt. And i think all are up to date with python3.x now.
Recommended Tutorials:
I don't want to hijack the main focus of this thread, but I too have been curious about developing UI's with python. I had already started learning tkinter. I am by no means an expert in it, and was about to soon begin to take the dive, after reading all the documentation, and actually try to develop something.

Should I stop dead in my tracks with tkinter?

Just curious, because you didn't mention it. I don't know, perhaps it is no longer supported/developed, and I should learn something that is better/has a better outlook for the future.

Thanks.
i actually prefer tkinter than any other GUI. However its appearance is not liked by some people.

If i was making a GUI for myself, i would use tkinter. If i was making a program to sell to someone else, i would possibly use something else (depending on how they want it to look). Also some things are missing in tkinter...such as tkinter has no webkit, so you could never make a browser from tkinter for example. Of course if your not making a browser, then this doesnt matter.
Recommended Tutorials:
So, after some time now I decided to use the Kivy Suite for my application. It seems that it fits for my project really good.

But there is one big question open. After I went through a lot of tutorials for Kivy, I saw that there where 2 type of developer styles for Kivy. The ones who are writing everything in the python src file and the other ones which are working with this "kivy configuration" files.

The problem is that I was not able to figure out which way is the better or more common way, also thinking about the future if my project is getting bigger and more complex.

Can anyone help ?
Ok finally after reading the complete kivy docs i have found the answer to my open question here https://kivy.org/docs/guide/lang.html

So lets start using the kivy language style :)
(Sep-29-2017, 06:50 PM)metulburr Wrote: i actually prefer tkinter than any other GUI. However its appearance is not liked by some people.

If i was making a GUI for myself, i would use tkinter. If i was making a program to sell to someone else, i would possibly use something else (depending on how they want it to look). Also some things are missing in tkinter...such as tkinter has no webkit, so you could never make a browser from tkinter for example. Of course if your not making a browser, then this doesnt matter.

Thanks Metulburr, very informative. I think I will stick with tkinter, then. I am not planning on selling any of my programs in the immediate future. I guess if I had to, I would just port (the UI) to another language.
Use .kv file to build the GUI and the program logic put into the .py file. That way you may change the program's interface anytime you need without risk to broke the program.

I am starting to learn Kivy too and I have chosen it because it is using OpenGL to draw all the GUI widgets. They have made a good decision separating the GUI from the executable code. Just like HTML and CSS for example.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Sep-30-2017, 10:23 PM)wavic Wrote: Use .kv file to build the GUI and the program logic put into the .py file. That way you may change the program's interface anytime you need without risk to broke the program.

Yep that is also the way that the official kivy docs are proposing if the app is getting more complex than "hello world" :)
But it's still a bit hard to write the GUI in this kind of .kv style , i think this will be a real challenge for me until I am satisfied with the result
i started learning kivy a couple years ago. I just couldnt get comfortable with the kv language and dropped it. I am though, excited to hear people using it more and more. Might try it out again in the future
Recommended Tutorials: