Python Forum
Python, PIL and Paint Shop Pro
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Python, PIL and Paint Shop Pro
Does anyone here have any experience using Python and PIL in Corel Paint Shop Pro? For those who aren't aware, the scripting language used in Paint Shop Pro is Python (currently version 2.7), which comes bundled with the product (when you install PSP, Python is installed automatically, but is only "visible" within PSP). But the PIL (or Pillow) library isn't included. PSP has its own API for those who want to write their own scripts, but it's not based on PIL. I've tried to figure out how to install PIL within the PSP environment, but haven't had any success yet. I've posted the same question on the Corel Users Forum (http://forum.corel.com), but nobody there seems to know the answer (some have tried). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
This site has some (very limited) advise: https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/artic...hop-Pro-X4
don't know if it will help any or not.
Don't know why PSP is using 2.7 *sigh*
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
@Larz60+ Thanks. Plugins aren't the same as scripts in the context of Paint Shop Pro, though. I think plugins have to be written in C++. Anyway, this site is where I posted my original question. See http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=62805

@sparkz_alot I guess for stability, they don't want things to break when a new release of Python comes out. And also switching to Python 3 would probably upset a lot of their existing users, because their scripts might no longer work properly. Eventually they will have to switch, I imagine.
Quote:I guess for stability, they don't want things to break when a new release of Python comes out
They will be faced with a worse problem in a few years (2020) when python 2 will no longer be supported.
Corel is still in business?  Woah.
Quote:Corel is still in business?  Woah.
Probably because some still cling to the idea that if you don't have to pay for it, it can't be any good.
Something terrible like GIMP, or Blender
(Dec-04-2017, 12:06 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: They will be faced with a worse problem in a few years (2020) when python 2 will no longer be supported.
The PSF won't support it, but that's not to say that there won't be someone forking it if it's in their business interest.

That said, I'm finding Python 3 more and more palatable for my own projects, and I've heard of at least one prominent business moving from a legacy Python 2 system to Python 3.
Seems I've unwittingly triggered a debate about the pros and cons of commercial vs. open-source software, which certainly wasn't my intention. I was just looking for help on a very specific problem, I'm not interested in defending Corel or any other corportation. I respectfully suggest that people who want to debate this issue start their own thread, as I think it's somewhat off-topic for this particular forum ("Python Forum > Python Coding > General Coding Help").
Sorry about that, it happens

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to sort .csv file test log which item first fail and paint color SamLiu 24 4,949 Sep-03-2022, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55