Python Forum
quick way to convert in both 2 and 3
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
quick way to convert in both 2 and 3
i am collecting simple code to make a variety of conversions in both python 2 and python 3 (e.g. same code works in both versions) Wall

1. integer to hexadecimal:  hex(myint)
2. string to hexadecimal:  ???
3. string to integer:  int(base64.b16encode(codecs.encode(mystr,'ascii')),16)
4. integer to string:  codecs.decode(base64.b16decode(hex(myint).upper().split('L')[0].split('X')[1]),'ascii')
5. hexadecimal to integer:  int(myhex,16)
6. hexadecimal to string:  ???

any suggestions to make #4 simpler Pray   result must be a string (or unicode where that is usable like str), not an array of bytes, and code must work in both python 2 and python 3 Doh  any suggestions for #2 and #6 that would be better than combining other examples Pray
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Can you give some examples? Most of this doesn't make sense to me; like string to hexadecimal might have built-in assumptions.
(Oct-31-2016, 06:31 PM)micseydel Wrote: Can you give some examples? Most of this doesn't make sense to me; like string to hexadecimal might have built-in assumptions.

by "string to hexadecimal" i mean:

'micseydel Skaperen' -> '6d696373657964656c20536b61706572656e'

and "hexadecimal to string" is the reverse of that:

'6d696373657964656c20536b61706572656e' -> 'micseydel Skaperen'

something keeps changing my post to have THREE empty lines after my first line of text above.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I suggest you start with
"".join("{:x}".format(ord(char)) for char in string)
and then ask specific questions from there
(Nov-01-2016, 05:30 AM)micseydel Wrote: I suggest you start with
"".join("{:x}".format(ord(char)) for char in string)
and then ask specific questions from there

it works.  is this simpler?

"".join((hex(ord(char)))[2:] for char in string)

s/char/c/ reduces the character count for both

I'm not a fan of using a thing that you then have to slice. That said, "hex" is more explicit than "x". I would keep the full name "char" though.
(Nov-02-2016, 02:47 PM)micseydel Wrote: I'm not a fan of using a thing that you then have to slice. That said, "hex" is more explicit than "x". I would keep the full name "char" though.

i would want to use something other than "char" in things that might be teaching those with C/C++ background.

(Nov-03-2016, 06:03 AM)Skaperen Wrote: i would want to use something other than "char" in things that might be teaching those with C/C++ background.
I don't know what you mean by this.
char is a data type in 'C' - 8 bits signed
I'm familiar with C. I just think it's silly to change your Python because someone else writes C. I believe that when you learn a new language, you should be mindful of your biases from previous ones rather than using them as a baseline.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A quick question teczone 4 3,122 Sep-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Quick help! Ellisrb 2 2,792 May-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Last Post: ThiefOfTime