Python Forum
Suggestion need to migrate from pyrhonanywhere
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion need to migrate from pyrhonanywhere
I have created an app using pythonaywhere but wish to migrate to another host as pythonanywhere service for cron jobs (schedule tasks) is sub standard. They slow down the schedule tasks which a normal 30 minutes completion task need to take up to 8 hours to complete in schedule tasks. It used to be about 2 hours which I still can tolerate but now it is too slow for my job and they do not entertain me that paid USD 12 a month

I want to know which other host that is easiest for me to move from pythonanywhere and below USD 10 or affordable. As we know pythonanywhere is simple to develop, host without the needs to set up libraries.

What I currently do in pythonanyhwre.
1. download and computation for stocks data
2. store in MySQL
3. use Flask to create api for the MySQL and I can access the api.

The main requirements is I need to run 15 cron jobs and it suppose to be as fast as running in console/terminal.

main libraries in pandas/numpy

I am not sure if I need a VPS or just a host. I try to find services like DigitalOcean but has no ideas how to setup so that I can just copy my code from pythonanywhere.

Please suggest the easiest way.

Thanks
(Jan-08-2018, 01:20 PM)bkcollection Wrote: I am not sure if I need a VPS or just a host. I try to find services like DigitalOcean but has no ideas how to setup so that I can just copy my code from pythonanywhere.

DigitalOcean VPS is the way to go,you start from a blank Droplet with distro of choice eg Ubuntu.
PythonAnywhere: Backing up (and restoring) MySQL databases
DigitalOcean: How To Import and Export Databases and Reset a Root Password in MySQL
DigitalOcean: A Basic MySQL Tutorial
Need changes in database look into Flask-Migrate

DigitalOcean has good setup tutorial for Flask this,
i like the setup with Gunicorn and Nginx best.
How To Serve Flask Applications with Gunicorn and Nginx on Ubuntu 16.04
Flask app using gunicorn and nginx
(Jan-08-2018, 03:58 PM)snippsat Wrote:
(Jan-08-2018, 01:20 PM)bkcollection Wrote: I am not sure if I need a VPS or just a host. I try to find services like DigitalOcean but has no ideas how to setup so that I can just copy my code from pythonanywhere.

DigitalOcean VPS is the way to go,you start from a blank Droplet with distro of choice eg Ubuntu.
PythonAnywhere: Backing up (and restoring) MySQL databases
DigitalOcean: How To Import and Export Databases and Reset a Root Password in MySQL
DigitalOcean: A Basic MySQL Tutorial
Need changes in database look into Flask-Migrate

DigitalOcean has good setup tutorial for Flask this,
i like the setup with Gunicorn and Nginx best.
How To Serve Flask Applications with Gunicorn and Nginx on Ubuntu 16.04
Flask app using gunicorn and nginx

Thanks for the reply.

Is DigitalOcean is stable for cron jobs compare pythonanywhere?
I need to update the Databases after doing computation work. So it is just the same as in pythonanywhere?

I would have avoid doing the migration if pythonanywhere give a stable performance but fed up with them now.

Is there any other option beside DigitalOcean VPS?
It will be good one start with FREE plan as I need quite some time to setup and transfer due to I lack of knowledge beside using pythonanywhere.
(Jan-09-2018, 02:32 AM)bkcollection Wrote: Is DigitalOcean is stable for cron jobs compare pythonanywhere?
DigitalOcean provides a 99.99% uptime SLA.
Lost time is refunded back to your account at the hourly rate incurred.
So cron work on Linux and DigitalOcean is stable,so it's stable.
(Jan-09-2018, 02:32 AM)bkcollection Wrote: I need to update the Databases after doing computation work. So it is just the same as in pythonanywhere?
Migration is mostly based on database,not server.
SQL Server Database Migration Checklist.
bkcollection Wrote:Is there any other option beside DigitalOcean VPS?
For me DigitalOcean has a clear first place,also what this forum use as host.
Python friendly host Heruko,comparable to DigitalOcean is Linode.
Generally good WebFaction ,if don't want to mess with server setup AWS Lambda.
bkcollection Wrote:It will be good one start with FREE plan as I need quite some time to setup and transfer due to I lack of knowledge beside using pythonanywhere.
You can start with cheapest Droplets which 5-dollar a month.
I have run 3-4 Droplets(which is is 3-4 servers) simultaneously when testing out Flask stuff.