Python Forum
Can't make it print 0 if false
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't make it print 0 if false
I'm working on a little code for class and I'm not sure what to do to make it print 0 when everything else is false.

Input:
1 -3 4 -2 1

a = [int(i) for i in input().split()]
for i in range(1, len(a)):
  if a[i - 1] * a[i] > 0:
    print(a[i - 1], a[i])
    break
Output:
Output:
No output (0 is expected)
I have no idea where to start to get that part working.

P.S. Here is the problem:
Given a list of non-zero integers, find and print the first adjacent pair of elements that have the same sign. If there is no such pair, print 0.
1. You don't need range() when looping over an iterable type, you can just provide the iterable.
2. i is a particular item from the list, starting with first one, and moving to next as loop goes forth. If you want index, then you can use enumerate(), which returns a tuple of form (index, item).

for index, number in enumerate(a[:-1]):
    if a[index] * a[index+1] > 0:
        print(a[index], a[index+1])
        break
a[:-1] means elements of a from first to one before last. In my example this is needed because list index could go out of range with last iteration.
As for the 0 to be printed in case no numbers are found you have several options. You could use a flag variable and set it in loop if proper pair of numbers is found. In the end you can print 0 only if the flag is set.
Today I have learned that for loops can also have an else clause, which are executed if break statement doesn't get executed in the loop. This is a way better alternative to the flag idea I gave in previous post.
  if a[i - 1] * a[i] > 0:
    print(a[i - 1], a[i])
    break
  if i >= len(a)-1:  #added line
      print 0        #added line
try add the last 2 lines. 0 printed when eveything is false and the loop meets its end
(Jan-28-2018, 04:28 AM)ka06059 Wrote:
a = [int(i) for i in input().split()] for i in range(1, len(a)): if a[i - 1] * a[i] > 0: print(a[i - 1], a[i]) break if i >= len(a)-1: #added line print 0 #added line
try add the last 2 lines. 0 printed when eveything is false and the loop meets its end

Thanks, this worked.
a = [1, -3, 4, -2, 1]
for n, m in zip(a[:-1], a[1:]):
    if n*m > 0:
        print(n, m)
        break
else:
    print(0)