Python Forum
Simple Question for Most - Help Explain Please
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Question for Most - Help Explain Please
Hello. I am taking a basic class and running their code. (This is my first time posting on this forum). My question is: Why do I need to use the first line "number_guess="0"" when running this code? The results are the same when I don't use it?

#number_guess="0"
secret_number="5"

while True:
    number_guess = input("guess  the number 1 to 5: ")
    if number_guess == secret_number:
        print("Yes." , number_guess, " is correct!\n")
        break
    else:
        print(number_guess, " is incorrect")
you are right - as the code is at the moment you don't need it
In this particular case there is no difference, you don't need that first line with number_guess.
Thank you both for answering. Is there a short answer as to when I might need to use the number_guess-"0" line?
If you would not be assigning a value to that variable in each iteration, you would need it defined outside loop - same as you already do with secret_number variable.

Originally posted, but is incorrect, as pointed out by buran:
Thank you for the reply. I understand and am grateful for the response.
(Jan-27-2018, 04:13 PM)j.crater Wrote: Since after the loop finishes, variable is out of scope and thus rest of the code cannot access it.
the loop does not create/represent its own namespace/scope - variable number_guess is accessible/available after the loop...
You are right, I just checked, thanks for pointing out! I may as well delete it from my post to not confuse the OP or at least any future reader. Apologies for the misinformation.
You guys are awesome! Thanks so much

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Simple question help me plz PedroGPT 4 4,586 Nov-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Last Post: nilamo