Python Forum
Updating & Accessing a "Static" List
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating & Accessing a "Static" List
Hi,

Help with creating a control record as a program variable.

I am writing a script to call ~10 APIs and analyse the data on frequent basis (>10 & < 60+ times an hour). The APIs can take 0.5 to 3 seconds each. Each API represents a different timeframe from a Month down to a Minute, so if the timeframe is still current and therefore the data has not changed since the last update (most likely Monthly, Weekly and Daily) then I want to avoid calling the API as well as analysing the data, by using the existing data that was previously extracted and analysed (This will be in memory as the program will still be active).

I planned to do this by keeping a control record with a 'timestamp' for each API. Element 1 being the Month timeframe and the last element being the one minute timeframe. The record being updated by a new timestamp in the corresponding element when an update has occured.

My limited "understanding" of lists, is that inserting a an element into a specific position with cause the new element to force some elements further down the list, thus changing their position.

So the array would look like this:

api_control [ timestamp, timestamp, timestamp etc.]

Where the first timestamp would refer to Months, the second to weeks, then days, 12 hours, 8 hours.... 5 minutes.

Ditto "understanding" - Tuples on the surface, may not be best suited, but see caveat!

Obviously I could keep a number of variables, one for each timeframe, but this looks like it is unnecessarily messy etc. etc.

I would be grateful for thoughts / a pointer to a "workable solution" 

Thanks

Bass

"The good thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from" Andy S. Tanenbaum
This post is all over the place, I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. Could you rephrase your question more succinctly? Ideally simple descriptions of data before and after an operation.
Hi micseydel,

Thank you for your reply, apologies my brain is fried at the moment.

In summary:

1. Overall Requirement - I am trying to find a way to store the timestamps of the various API data requests, to enable incremental updates and analysis, i.e. to enable the script to choose which API's need to be called and processed. Processing a full update every time would be prohibitive.

2. What I have Tried - I have listed some of the methods that I have considered but that have not been successful. Rather than just list the problem.

3. Specific Requirement - In other words, I am looking for a method of building, reading and updating an array, where the elements remain in the same position, i.e. element one would always be the "Month" data timestamp and element two would always be the "Week" data timestamp etc.

4. The Data Structure - Each time the script is run, the array would start off null, as each API is executed, the timestamp would be inserted into the relevant time frame position The data in the array would be a list of 10 timestamps (Unix/POSIX) Format. As an update is requested by the user, the system would look at the array and update only the timeframes that needed updating, e.g. the "Daily" data would need to be refreshed at midnight, the "Hourly" data once the time has reached the top of the clock. If the "Hourly" data was last accessed at 12:45pm and it is now 12:55pm then no update would be needed, however if it was past 1pm then the routinme would need to update the "Hour" data.

Hope this makes better sense.

Bass

"The good thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from" Andy S. Tanenbaum
I would look for memoizing decorator
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
Thanks volcano,

Have googled this and found lots of useful stuff.

Thanks

Bass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  problem usage of static method akbarza 5 546 Feb-03-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: paul18fr
  Static type checking with PyPy pitosalas 1 459 Dec-14-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Class member become static Quasar999 1 683 Sep-16-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Updating nested dict list keys tbaror 2 1,289 Feb-09-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: tbaror
Photo Output Static image on HDMI2 random816382 0 1,409 Oct-18-2021, 11:21 AM
Last Post: random816382
  Looping through nested elements and updating the original list Alex_James 3 2,141 Aug-19-2021, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Alex_James
  List index out of range error while accessing 2 lists in python K11 2 2,130 Sep-29-2020, 05:24 AM
Last Post: K11
  Help accessing elements of list of dictionaries Milfredo 6 2,850 Sep-07-2020, 01:32 AM
Last Post: Milfredo
  Accessing values in list of dictionaries pythonnewbie138 2 2,137 Aug-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Last Post: pythonnewbie138
  Issue accessing data from Dictionary/List in the right format LuisSatch 2 2,224 Jul-25-2020, 06:12 AM
Last Post: LuisSatch