Python Forum

Full Version: reading json file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm new to python so I need a bit of direction. I've got some python code given to me to run against some quite complicated json files. I followed directions but cannot get the code to work correctly so I'm obviously missing something. I have decades of programming experience but not in this new environment. I used fortran, cobol, pascal etc. Things a bit different now. SO anyway I downloaded python 3.8.2 onto my pc. Loaded the python script and json file into the same path. Normally when runnign code I'd like to see a debug of what the code is doing. How do I turn that on? I cannot tell where python is trying to read from. Here's the script. It seems you need a wildcard to input NAME. Not sure where to do this. I open idle, then open this script and do run module. But no output. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

import json

def findfraud(NAME):
    with open(NAME + '.json', encoding="utf8") as f:
        x = json.load(f)
    TotalVotesLost = 0
    for i in range(len(x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"])):
        if i != 0 and x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i]["votes"] * x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i]["vote_shares"]["trumpd"] < x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i-1]["votes"] * x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i-1]["vote_shares"]["trumpd"]:
            if x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i]["votes"] * x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i]["vote_shares"]["bidenj"] > x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i-1]["votes"] * x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i-1]["vote_shares"]["bidenj"]:
                print ("Index : " + str(i) + " Past Index : " + str(i-1))
                print (x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i]["votes"] * x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i]["vote_shares"]["trumpd"] - x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i-1]["votes"] * x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i-1]["vote_shares"]["trumpd"])
                TotalVotesLost += x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i]["votes"] * x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i]["vote_shares"]["trumpd"] - x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i-1]["votes"] * x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i-1]["vote_shares"]["trumpd"]
    print (str(str(TotalVotesLost)  + " Flo"))

def findfraud2(NAME):
    with open(NAME + '.json', encoding="utf8") as f:
        x = json.load(f)
    TotalVotesLost = 0
    for i in range(len(x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"])):
        if i != 0 and x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i]["votes"] < x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i-1]["votes"]:
            TotalVotesLost += x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i]["votes"] - x["data"]["races"][0]["timeseries"][i-1]["votes"]
    print (TotalVotesLost)
Please share sample JSON file which contains examples of each data structure used.