Python Forum

Full Version: Effeciency of passing XML tree object as function arguments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, 

Is it efficient to pass an object returned by lxml.etree.parse("a.xml") as argument to other functions? Is the object returned a C pointer-like mechanism referring to the in-memory tree representation of XML? Or is it something else? Will it cause any performance issues down the line? I expect the size of the tree when taken in-memory could be around 15 MB. 

I am planning to write multiple functions to process each child node and its sub-child nodes. To each function. I will be passing the object corresponding to child node. 

Thanks
Sandeep
You can think of all Python variables as pointers. Passing parameters won't be a problem. You can test this yourself too, if you'd like, by passing a list to a function, mutating it within the function (without returning it), and observing the side effect outside the function as evidence that the same object was passed around.
(Oct-11-2016, 07:39 AM)sandeepvl Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, 

Is it efficient to pass an object returned by lxml.etree.parse("a.xml") as argument to other functions? Is the object returned a C pointer-like mechanism referring to the in-memory tree representation of XML? Or is it something else? Will it cause any performance issues down the line? I expect the size of the tree when taken in-memory could be around 15 MB. 

I am planning to write multiple functions to process each child node and its sub-child nodes. To each function. I will be passing the object corresponding to child node. 

Thanks
Sandeep

Definitely the most complete answer you'll get on the subject:

(Oct-11-2016, 09:13 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct-11-2016, 07:39 AM)sandeepvl Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, 

Thanks
Sandeep

Definitely the most complete answer you'll get on the subject:

Thanks a lot for that video. It helped a lot. Really an eye opener.