Python Forum
Open source... I'm not convinced
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open source... I'm not convinced
(Mar-02-2019, 09:52 PM)micseydel Wrote: I would agree with ichabod801. I would trust that some are looking over linux rather than what Windows has. You can look over any linux distro code you want (even down to the kernel), you cannot do the same to Windows. Thus why people trustt open sourced code over closed. You have the option to look at it.

If you are really freaked out by using other people's distro's.....you can always make your own with Linux from Scratch. This would teach you how things work to look at code of other distros to find possible bugs/issues. Then you are trusting yourself, not someone else. But i would warn you to

Yes but who are these people, exactly? Where are they posting the results of their read through of the OS? That word you used "trust" is the word that I don't like. I prefer verification to trust.

(Mar-05-2019, 03:08 PM)ichabod801 Wrote:
(Mar-05-2019, 05:54 AM)bennylava Wrote: Just curious on this one, but why don't you like Linux?

It crashed more than Windows, I couldn't use all my hardware, the software quality was lower in many cases, and the updater drove me nuts.

I cut out some of your post and what's left were my issues as well. It also just felt... well lets just say you could tell it was free. Almost like even the biggest most used distros, didn't really see much attention when it comes to the level of polish and end user experience. It didn't have that same snap to it that windows has had since about halfway through the windows XP era. Everything felt slower, and more clunky. About every 4 years since 2001, I try out linux again. Some distro that looks fancy.

And they're slowly starting to catch up. They seem to be at the point now where I can tolerate it. As for the "spy freaks", I guess I'm one of them. I just don't think its any of these companys' business what I'm up to, nor the governments. I guess its just all on principle. And you'll get a lot farther in terms of applying that principle, on a linux machine than you would with windows. Of course there is a lot more to do besides that, but you should at least have the OS portion of your security squared away. Should. Which as you can see, is the reason I've created this thread.

If there's a website somewhere where real people (with reputations) read through all the code and give it the OK, I'm not aware of it. Unless you have something like that, what assurance do you really have? The build your own linux thing does appeal to me. If nothing else I'm glad it exists to be a thorn in the side of "Them".

Messages In This Thread
Open source... I'm not convinced - by bennylava - Mar-05-2019, 03:43 AM
RE: Open source... I'm not convinced - by bennylava - Mar-05-2019, 05:54 AM
RE: Open source... I'm not convinced - by metulburr - Mar-05-2019, 01:41 PM
RE: Open source... I'm not convinced - by bennylava - Mar-05-2019, 10:14 PM
RE: Open source... I'm not convinced - by metulburr - Mar-06-2019, 11:53 AM
RE: Open source... I'm not convinced - by Larz60+ - Mar-06-2019, 12:22 PM
RE: Open source... I'm not convinced - by metulburr - Mar-06-2019, 11:25 PM
RE: Open source... I'm not convinced - by Skaperen - Mar-07-2019, 01:36 AM
RE: Open source... I'm not convinced - by Larz60+ - Mar-07-2019, 12:44 PM
RE: Open source... I'm not convinced - by Skaperen - Mar-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads…