Python Forum
Looking for a "custom" script editor
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a "custom" script editor
I started with python in a 3D-application (Autodesk Maya), and I fell in love with its script editor. It looks like this:
[Image: Editor-Maya.png]

It executes code when the right return-key is pressed. If no text is selected, it will execute all of the code. Else if something is selected, it will execute the selected code.

The reason I can't just continue using the 3D-application to work with python in is that it only works with python 2.7. I'm in the process of moving towards python 3.7, so I need an alternative. All of the standard editors feels "clunky" to me, and I don't really need anything other than simple input/output in my editor.

Here's what I'm looking for (in chronological order):
  1. Always executes selected code only (if no selection, everything is executed)
  2. Option to specify hotkey (for executing code)
  3. Clean design, I don't need (or want) anything other than editor & output
  4. Portable

It's basically just a slick wrapper, is there anything like this out there? I'm sure there is, but I haven't been able to find one. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Messages In This Thread
Looking for a "custom" script editor - by NewBeginnings - Jul-20-2019, 07:32 PM
RE: Looking for a "custom" script editor - by Yoriz - Jul-21-2019, 12:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Music Notation editor; how to build the editor? direction to go? philipbergwerf 1 1,698 Jan-01-2022, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  python script file not opening in IDLE editor srm 2 4,406 Jun-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  script editor abrew132 4 4,402 Apr-20-2017, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Josh