Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Django finance tracker
I would love to have feedback on my idea. Thanks in advance :)

First of all: Im relatively new to Python and Programming in general. I did a lot of tutorials, learned the standard syntax and tried out a lot of modules. I feel like I don't learn enough anymore and want to have my first real big project to really get out of the watch-tutorial-flow and really learn the modules by working with them. My idea:

A personal finance tracker:

I thought about using Django, because I want to learn a popular Web-Framework. I thought about dividing it into different apps:

In one app you should be able to input data of the expenses(price, category, automatic timestamp, etc.) that is going to be saved to a database (sqlite)
In another app you should have an (interactive) dashboard, that uses the data from the database and plots some graphes etc.
Optional:

- User-System to make the Webapp usable for other people
- Update sqlite to MySQL or other bigger databases
- Use some API or something to get data from your bank, so you don't need to manually type in the expenses My

Questions:
- Is the project too ambitious/to big? As I already said, I want to use the project to go deeper into working with the topics like webframeworks, databases, modules like pandas, matplotlib etc
- Do you have any feedback on the idea? What would you change? What other modules/frameworks would you use?

Thanks a lot guys and im looking forward to your recommendations! Cheers!

Messages In This Thread
Django finance tracker - by mkb3112 - Apr-03-2020, 08:13 PM
RE: Django finance tracker - by leeacto - Apr-04-2020, 01:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Expense Tracker Project dnviti 0 525 Dec-14-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: dnviti
  Web Scraping with Yahoo Finance miloellison 1 2,075 Jul-03-2020, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  getting financial data from yahoo finance asiaphone12 7 7,018 Jun-15-2020, 05:49 AM
Last Post: mick_g
  Django: How to automatically substitute a variable in the admin page at Django 1.11? m0ntecr1st0 3 3,340 Jun-30-2019, 12:21 AM
Last Post: scidam
  Scrap Yahoo Finance using BS4 mr_byte31 7 6,236 Aug-24-2018, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Larz60+