Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
function handling
Hi All!
I'm pretty new to Python coding and I'm doing some stuff while I learn the language, I have some experience with Matlab especially for mathematical computation so I'm not totally new to coding.

But here is my problem:

I have made a function that solves f(x) = 0 and returns x. It is a standard bysection method and it works well.

What I have done so far was to define a function that I then fed to the bysection:

def my_fun(x):
y = x*2 + 4
return y

def main()
x = bysection(my_fun)
print(x)
return

This configuration WORKS, it gives me back the correct x and produces no errors.

The problem is when I want to have my_fun function of a parameter as well.

def my_fun(x, b):
y = x*2 + b
return y

The bisection function solves only f(x) = 0 and not f(x,b) = 0. What I want to do is to pass to the bysection my_fun where x is free and b is assigned:

def main()
b = 4
x = bysection(my_fun(x, b))
print(x)
return

Of course this doesn't work, do you guys have any idea? Matlab allowed me to define the function INSIDE the main, so b was already assigned, but in Python I have to define the function and then assign only b but keeping x as the only variable.

Basically can I go from:

function(x,b) to function(x) by assigning a value for b?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Messages In This Thread
function handling - by JohnCrichton - Sep-06-2017, 10:18 PM
RE: function handling - by ichabod801 - Sep-07-2017, 01:20 AM
RE: function handling - by JohnCrichton - Sep-07-2017, 02:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star python exception handling handling .... with traceback mg24 3 1,331 Nov-09-2022, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  TicTacToe Game Add Exception Handling and Warning Function ShaikhShaikh 5 2,486 Nov-03-2021, 05:02 PM
Last Post: deanhystad