Python Forum
Migration to a modern forum engine
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Migration to a modern forum engine
I know there is a lot of work behind such a thing, but I think it would be worthwhile to move to a different forum framework. The Arch Linux forum use FluxBB, which is the best I've seen so far. As this is the official python forum, I believe it would make sense to go toward a more professional look and feel. There are (commercial) migration services available to switch from MyBB to FluxBB.
What issues do we currently have, which would be solved by switching?
(Jan-25-2019, 04:06 PM)nilamo Wrote: What issues do we currently have, which would be solved by switching?

This is mostly about the overall appearance and themes. I don't want to seem rude or anything, I just think there are other frameworks that are lighter and look better.
If the only issue is based on appearance, then a new theme could fix that. Going to a new engine without gaining functionality doesn't make sense, from neither a time nor a risk standpoint.

But that's just like, my opinion, or whatever.
Same thoughts as nilamo. Its absurd to change the forum framework based on appearance. Themes can always be updated and changed. You could change the appearance of MyBB to look exactly like the arch forums via theme changes for example.

I more take this as a request for a new theme instead.

As far as my personal opinion:
I think an older appearance is not bad. For example c++ forums . It shows age and with age comes experience. But MyBB is more modern. As for MyBB not looking professional. I think professionalism could look different to different people. When i think of the default MyBB theme, it compares good with the python mindset.
>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance
and because of it being mingled with Monty Python, the humor embedded in python will never end. And we like to maintain that here on the forum as well.

But none of that stops us from making new themes to suit user interests.

But now you have me curious...what makes it not look professional to you?
Recommended Tutorials:
I would add that this is not just a standard MyBB installation. There has been a lot of work done behind the scenes to make it a better board for Python users. Any move to a different software platform would need to take into account the effort required to maintain that functionality.

MyBB was not chosen lightly. When the community decided to abandon the old site and it's absent administrator (so we could make those functionality changes), there were several competing ideas on what software to use. Test sites were set up by various users, the community tried out the different versions, and we decided together that this was the way we wanted to go.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Jan-25-2019, 06:31 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: I would add that this is not just a standard MyBB installation. There has been a lot of work done behind the scenes to make it a better board for Python users. Any move to a different software platform would need to take into account the effort required to maintain that functionality.
Totally forgot about this aspect as well. Last i knew we have 56 plugins installed for customization, modified syntax highlighting for python code addition, and tons and tons of other forum software tweaks that have been done over the years.
Recommended Tutorials:
When we did choose forum software i did run NodeBB(did let it run for 1-year) as a alternative to vote for.
NodeBB has probably the most modern look an approach out there,but now i am happy with our forum setup i would not change it for any other forum software out there.
Forum software written in Python could be fun,but none out there is close to be updated or good enuff.
Just to be clear so did we vote for forum software(when moved away from phpBB) before choosing MyBB(that @metulburr did run at that time).

Alfalfa Wrote:As this is the official python forum
We are not an official Python forum,so we are not connect to Python(python.og) or Python Software Foundation at all.
Who is python-forum.io?
(Jan-25-2019, 08:27 PM)metulburr Wrote: Totally forgot about this aspect as well. Last i knew we have 56 plugins installed for customization, modified syntax highlighting for python code addition, and tons and tons of other forum software tweaks that have been done over the years.
Yes we have done a lot background work that many not be aware of.
Think most are happy with how forum is managed and the look of it,as we have not gotten many complains about it.
I am happy with our choice of MyBB and how forum has evolved Thumbs Up
Alfalfa Wrote:This is mostly about the overall appearance and themes.
Have you looked at our Themes,choose down in left corner?
Midnight:
[Image: AqgFRK.jpg]

To take a trip back to look at NodeBB that i did run,it's also a pretty good forum software.
[Image: NdrMTK.jpg]
[Image: clenlz.jpg]
(Jan-26-2019, 03:05 AM)snippsat Wrote: Have you looked at our Themes,choose down in left corner?

Yes, I am aware of that. But never mind, I did not expect much really. I was curious to have your opinion about that matter, and did not think about the python customization. I don't really mind the forum as it is, I just think the look may be improved. I prefer flat and minimalist design, although the look and feel is a very subjective topic I agree.

(Jan-25-2019, 09:08 PM)snippsat Wrote: We are not an official Python forum,so we are not connect to Python(python.og) or Python Software Foundation at all.

My bad. I thought so as I found the forum from the Python website, after searching for "Official python forum". Although it is under Community, I was quite sure that I read "Official" somewhere, but I was mistaken obviously ;)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the forum need a forum category ? Yoriz 4 6,293 Sep-18-2016, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Kebap