Python Forum
Fixing "PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied"
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing "PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied"
Hello, I'm trying to use Python to automate unzipping of multiple files in a folder. I already have a script that works and unzips my files. But it won't copy contents of the zip files which has subfolders. In order to be able to extract everything into one main folder (disregarding original subfolder structure) I have found this code chunk on stackexchange. A moderator reported that the code is working for him therefore I should be investigating something else, not the code itself.

import os
import shutil
import zipfile

my_dir = r"C:\Users\username\My_Dataset\new"
my_zip = r"C:\Users\username\My_Dataset"

with zipfile.ZipFile(my_zip) as zip_file:
    for member in zip_file.namelist():
        filename = os.path.basename(member)
        # skip directories
        if not filename:
            continue

# copy file (taken from zipfile's extract)
source = zip_file.open(member)
target = open(os.path.join(my_dir, filename), "wb")
with source, target:
     shutil.copyfileobj(source, target)
Here is the Traceback I get:

Error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:/Users/username/PycharmProjects/GeoPandas/mergeAnswer.py", line 8, in <module> with zipfile.ZipFile(my_zip) as zip_file: File "C:\Users\username\Anaconda3\envs\playground\lib\zipfile.py", line 1207, in __init__ self.fp = io.open(file, filemode) PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Users\\username\\My_Dataset
The only thing that looks suspicious to me is the direction of the slashes on Traceback. Some of them are forwards slashes while some of them are backwards. Could it be related to that? I'm running this code in Windows and haven't tried on a mac or linux.

Would it be possible to get some suggestions in order to make this script work? I don't need to use this specific script, I'm just trying to unzip a lot of files (some are under subfolders some are not) into one main folder.

Thanks in advance!
According to the docs, zipfile.ZipFile() expects a file, not a directory. I'd wager that's the culprit. Try creating the file first and passing that into zipfile.ZipFile().
Is there a folder called C:\Users\username on your machine? That looks very strange in the error message you posted.

I would expect it to be C:\Users\<your login Id>\My_Dataset
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
(Feb-06-2020, 11:41 PM)stullis Wrote: According to the docs, zipfile.ZipFile() expects a file, not a directory. I'd wager that's the culprit. Try creating the file first and passing that into zipfile.ZipFile().

Thanks for looking it up! I checked the documentation as well but I couldn't comprehend to the point to solve my issue.

What do you mean by creating the file first? Do you mean creating a shapefile or do you mean that I need to change the order in the script?

(Feb-06-2020, 11:52 PM)jim2007 Wrote: Is there a folder called C:\Users\username on your machine? That looks very strange in the error message you posted.

I would expect it to be C:\Users\<your login Id>\My_Dataset

Thank you, I replaced username before posting since it's my real name in there with the actual path. Do you think backwards/forwards slashes might be creating the issue here?
Wanted to up this post, I still couldn't figure out a way to unzip these files.
So two things to check:

- Check if you can create a file in the folder with notepad for instance

- Your variable my_zip points to a folder name and not a file. It should be something like: my_zip = r"C:\Users\username\My_Dataset\<name>.zip"

Let us know how you go.
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
(Feb-07-2020, 10:50 PM)jim2007 Wrote: So two things to check:

- Check if you can create a file in the folder with notepad for instance

- Your variable my_zip points to a folder name and not a file. It should be something like: my_zip = r"C:\Users\username\My_Dataset\<name>.zip"

Let us know how you go.

Thank you, I can create a file, actually I have another script, I run from PyCharm and it works on the folder, but this script gives me a permission error.

The reason my_zip points to a folder is I have a folder with zip files and I'm trying to go through them in order to extract their content into a main file. The script I have (which works) does the job but it only extract one layer of zip files, if a zip file has a subfolder in it (not necessarily a zipped folder) it won't extract those to my "main" folder. This is what I'm trying to achieve with the script that gives me an error.

Thank you for your help again.
If permission really is the problem, you could try to run the program with admin user level. Also, I would keep your slashes as backslashes if you're using Windows.
(Feb-08-2020, 03:41 AM)TheHacker707 Wrote: If permission really is the problem, you could try to run the program with admin user level. Also, I would keep your slashes as backslashes if you're using Windows.

Now I'm trying the same on a mac and don't get the permission error but I get this instead

Error:
self.fp = io.open(file, filemode) IsADirectoryError: [Errno 21] Is a directory: '/Users/berkaytok/Documents/Boundary_Datasets'
so I imagine stullis seems correct that this script expects a single zip file.

(Feb-06-2020, 11:41 PM)stullis Wrote: According to the docs, zipfile.ZipFile() expects a file, not a directory. I'd wager that's the culprit. Try creating the file first and passing that into zipfile.ZipFile().

Moving on to my previous script;

import os
import zipfile

user: str = os.getlogin() #to be used in directory names
#item = 'item'  # i am not sure if this is necessary
dir_name = "/Users/{0}//Documents/Boundary_Datasets".format(user) #folder that contains multiple zipfiles which some of them have subfolders in those zipfiles
extract = "/Users/{0}//Documents/Boundary_Datasets/new".format(user) #main folder to be used as an output folder
extension = ".zip" 
#file_name = dir_name + "/" + item #i am not sure if this is necessary

os.chdir(dir_name)  # change directory from working dir to dir with files

for item in os.listdir(dir_name):  # loop through items in dir
    if item.endswith(extension):  # check for ".zip" extension
        file_name = os.path.abspath(item)  # get full path of files
        zip_ref = zipfil e.ZipFile(file_name)  # create zipfile object
        zip_ref.extractall(extract)  # extract file to dir
        zip_ref.close()  # close file
        # os.remove(file_name) # delete zipped file
Can anyone help me to modify this so that it not only extracts the first subfolder content but all subfolders and extract all files into one main folder?
It is almost certainly an issue with passing the correct file name to the function. Try hard coding one of the file names into the my_zip variable and see if it runs without error.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  KivyMD android app - problem with permission polak7gt 0 247 Jan-18-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: polak7gt
  Potential Permission error on Mac OSX Catalina OWOLLC 1 643 Nov-02-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: unjnsacih
  logging: change log file permission with RotatingFileHandler erg 0 955 Aug-09-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: erg
  The INSERT permission was denied on the object Steven5055 2 1,417 Feb-25-2023, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Steven5055
  (python) Can i get some help fixing a English to Morse translator? Pls AlexPython 7 1,539 Sep-12-2022, 02:55 AM
Last Post: AlexPython
  access is denied error 5 for network drive mapping ? ahmedbarbary 2 1,730 Aug-17-2022, 10:09 PM
Last Post: ahmedbarbary
  Server Folder Error : WinError5 Access Denied fioranosnake 1 1,091 Jun-21-2022, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Permission issue when using scapy jao 3 9,451 Feb-05-2022, 06:14 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Error no 13: Permission denied in python shantanu97 1 6,095 Mar-31-2021, 02:15 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Invalid syntax error - need help fixing calgk01 3 3,226 Feb-23-2021, 08:41 PM
Last Post: nilamo