Python Forum
Ldap3 Python print(conn.entries) doesnt work
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ldap3 Python print(conn.entries) doesnt work
I have the code below for ldap search.
I want to save my search result as json.
why
print(conn.entries)
doesnt work?

from ldap3 import Server, Connection, ALL
from ldap3 import Server, Connection, SAFE_SYNC

username = "user1"
server = Server('192.168.1.24', get_info = ALL)
conn = Connection(server, '[email protected]', 'mypassword', client_strategy=SAFE_SYNC, auto_bind=True)
#print(conn)

result= conn.search('dc=my,dc=server', f'(sAMAccountName={username})')
print(conn.entries)
What's in the 'result' object? Have you tried printing result, or dir(result)?
(Mar-14-2022, 05:54 PM)Gribouillis Wrote: What's in the 'result' object? Have you tried printing result, or dir(result)?

When i run print(result) ı get the search result that i want.
But i cannot parse it. I try to convert the result to json for parsing but i get typeerror: object of type 'bytes' is not json serializable
So you want to convert a search result which is a bytes string to json. What does the bytes string look like? Can you post it here? Also how have you tried to convert it to json?
(Mar-15-2022, 07:25 AM)Gribouillis Wrote: So you want to convert a search result which is a bytes string to json. What does the bytes string look like? Can you post it here? Also how have you tried to convert it to json?

Here is my search result:

(True, {'result': 0, 'description': 'success', 'dn': '', 'message': '', 'referrals': None, 'type': 'searchResDone'}, [{'raw_dn': b'CN=user G\xc3\xbc\xc3\xa7l\xc3\xbc,OU=DEVELOPERS,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD-GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local', 'dn': 'CN=User1,OU=DEVELOPER,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD-GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local', 'raw_attributes': {}, 'attributes': {}, 'type': 'searchResEntry'}, {'uri': ['ldap://ForestDnsZones.TRD.local/DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=TRD,DC=local'], 'type': 'searchResRef'}, {'uri': ['ldap://DomainDnsZones.TRD.local/DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=TRD,DC=local'], 'type': 'searchResRef'}, {'uri': ['ldap://TRD.local/CN=Configuration,DC=TRD,DC=local'], 'type': 'searchResRef'}], {'base': 'dc=my,dc=server', 'scope': 2, 'dereferenceAlias': 3, 'sizeLimit': 0, 'timeLimit': 0, 'typesOnly': False, 'filter': '(sAMAccountName=user1)', 'attributes': ['1.1'], 'type': 'searchRequest', 'controls': None})
I've try:

result= conn.search('dc=my,dc=server', f'(sAMAccountName={username})')
print(result)
result2 = json.dump(result)
print(result2)
I got:

TypeError: Object of type 'bytes' is not JSON serializable
It fails because the dictionary in the result contains a byte string b'CN=user G\xc3\xbc\xc3\xa7l\xc3\xbc,OU=DEVELOPERS,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD-GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local'. A solution is to decode it to unicode with the utf8 encoding. Here is working code that I found with my search engine
result = (True, {'result': 0, 'description': 'success', 'dn': '', 'message': '', 'referrals': None, 'type': 'searchResDone'}, [{'raw_dn': b'CN=user G\xc3\xbc\xc3\xa7l\xc3\xbc,OU=DEVELOPERS,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD-GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local', 'dn': 'CN=User1,OU=DEVELOPER,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD-GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local', 'raw_attributes': {}, 'attributes': {}, 'type': 'searchResEntry'}, {'uri': ['ldap://ForestDnsZones.TRD.local/DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=TRD,DC=local'], 'type': 'searchResRef'}, {'uri': ['ldap://DomainDnsZones.TRD.local/DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=TRD,DC=local'], 'type': 'searchResRef'}, {'uri': ['ldap://TRD.local/CN=Configuration,DC=TRD,DC=local'], 'type': 'searchResRef'}], {'base': 'dc=my,dc=server', 'scope': 2, 'dereferenceAlias': 3, 'sizeLimit': 0, 'timeLimit': 0, 'typesOnly': False, 'filter': '(sAMAccountName=user1)', 'attributes': ['1.1'], 'type': 'searchRequest', 'controls': None})

import json

class MyEncoder(json.JSONEncoder):
    def default(self, obj):
        if isinstance(obj, bytes):
            return str(obj, encoding='utf-8');
        return json.JSONEncoder.default(self, obj)

s = json.dumps(result, cls=MyEncoder, indent=4)

print(s)
Output:
[ true, { "result": 0, "description": "success", "dn": "", "message": "", "referrals": null, "type": "searchResDone" }, [ { "raw_dn": "CN=user G\u00fc\u00e7l\u00fc,OU=DEVELOPERS,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD -GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local", "dn": "CN=User1,OU=DEVELOPER,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD-GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local", "raw_attributes": {}, "attributes": {}, "type": "searchResEntry" }, { "uri": [ "ldap://ForestDnsZones.TRD.local/DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=TRD,DC=local" ], "type": "searchResRef" }, { "uri": [ "ldap://DomainDnsZones.TRD.local/DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=TRD,DC=local" ], "type": "searchResRef" }, { "uri": [ "ldap://TRD.local/CN=Configuration,DC=TRD,DC=local" ], "type": "searchResRef" } ], { "base": "dc=my,dc=server", "scope": 2, "dereferenceAlias": 3, "sizeLimit": 0, "timeLimit": 0, "typesOnly": false, "filter": "(sAMAccountName=user1)", "attributes": [ "1.1" ], "type": "searchRequest", "controls": null } ]
You could perhaps serialize only result[1] because I think the True value at the start of the result is not part of the result's payload. Also note that this solution may encounter other issues if the result contains bytes data encoded in another encoding than utf8 or raw bytes data that don't represent unicode strings.
ilknurg likes this post
(Mar-15-2022, 08:35 AM)Gribouillis Wrote: It fails because the dictionary in the result contains a byte string b'CN=user G\xc3\xbc\xc3\xa7l\xc3\xbc,OU=DEVELOPERS,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD-GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local'. A solution is to decode it to unicode with the utf8 encoding. Here is working code that I found with my search engine
result = (True, {'result': 0, 'description': 'success', 'dn': '', 'message': '', 'referrals': None, 'type': 'searchResDone'}, [{'raw_dn': b'CN=user G\xc3\xbc\xc3\xa7l\xc3\xbc,OU=DEVELOPERS,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD-GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local', 'dn': 'CN=User1,OU=DEVELOPER,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD-GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local', 'raw_attributes': {}, 'attributes': {}, 'type': 'searchResEntry'}, {'uri': ['ldap://ForestDnsZones.TRD.local/DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=TRD,DC=local'], 'type': 'searchResRef'}, {'uri': ['ldap://DomainDnsZones.TRD.local/DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=TRD,DC=local'], 'type': 'searchResRef'}, {'uri': ['ldap://TRD.local/CN=Configuration,DC=TRD,DC=local'], 'type': 'searchResRef'}], {'base': 'dc=my,dc=server', 'scope': 2, 'dereferenceAlias': 3, 'sizeLimit': 0, 'timeLimit': 0, 'typesOnly': False, 'filter': '(sAMAccountName=user1)', 'attributes': ['1.1'], 'type': 'searchRequest', 'controls': None})

import json

def default(self, obj):

print(s)
Output:
[ true, { "result": 0, "description": "success", "dn": "", "message": "", "referrals": null, "type": "searchResDone" }, [ { "raw_dn": "CN=user G\u00fc\u00e7l\u00fc,OU=DEVELOPERS,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD -GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local", "dn": "CN=User1,OU=DEVELOPER,OU=ANKARA,OU=TURKIYE,OU=TRD-GLOBAL,DC=TRD,DC=local", "raw_attributes": {}, "attributes": {}, "type": "searchResEntry" }, { "uri": [ "ldap://ForestDnsZones.TRD.local/DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=TRD,DC=local" ], "type": "searchResRef" }, { "uri": [ "ldap://DomainDnsZones.TRD.local/DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=TRD,DC=local" ], "type": "searchResRef" }, { "uri": [ "ldap://TRD.local/CN=Configuration,DC=TRD,DC=local" ], "type": "searchResRef" } ], { "base": "dc=my,dc=server", "scope": 2, "dereferenceAlias": 3, "sizeLimit": 0, "timeLimit": 0, "typesOnly": false, "filter": "(sAMAccountName=user1)", "attributes": [ "1.1" ], "type": "searchRequest", "controls": null } ]
You could perhaps serialize only result[1] because I think the True value at the start of the result is not part of the result's payload. Also note that this solution may encounter other issues if the result contains bytes data encoded in another encoding than utf8 or raw bytes data that don't represent unicode strings.

Thank you. I try the code i have an error message.

TypeError: Object of type 'CaseInsensitiveDict' is not JSON serializable
Try to convert it to dict for example
from ldap3.utils.ciDict import CaseInsensitiveDict

def default(self, obj):
            obj = str(obj, encoding='utf-8')
        elif isinstance(obj, CaseInsensitiveDict):
            obj = dict(obj)
(Mar-15-2022, 09:45 AM)Gribouillis Wrote: Try to convert it to dict for example
from ldap3.utils.ciDict import CaseInsensitiveDict

def default(self, obj):
            obj = str(obj, encoding='utf-8')
            obj = dict(obj)

my mind is so confused. I run this

def default(self, obj):
            return dict(obj)

print(s)
I get this error
TypeError: isinstance() arg 2 must be a type or tuple of types
What is the type of CaseInsensitiveDict ?
ilknurg likes this post

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  print doesnt work in a function ony 2 312 Mar-11-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Pydoc documentation doesnt work Cosmosso 5 4,395 Nov-25-2023, 11:17 PM
Last Post: vidito
  sqlite3 Conn Insert Value Error TylerDunbar 3 754 Sep-04-2023, 06:32 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  pip install requests doesnt work misodca 8 6,187 Jul-07-2023, 08:04 AM
Last Post: zyple
  pip install pystyle doesnt work person_probably 2 2,125 Sep-23-2022, 02:59 PM
Last Post: person_probably
  Why doesnt chunk generation work? LotosProgramer 1 1,953 Apr-02-2022, 08:25 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  if conditions in the for indentation doesnt work ? Sutsro 6 3,950 Jun-15-2021, 11:45 PM
Last Post: bowlofred
  Why doesn't this print statement work? stylingpat 10 5,777 Mar-23-2021, 07:54 PM
Last Post: buran
  I have two Same Code but One of them Doesnt Work beginner721 6 3,100 Jan-22-2021, 10:56 PM
Last Post: beginner721
  Python to Oracle Conn Issue chvsnarayana 2 39,758 Sep-06-2020, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Larz60+