Python Forum
Learning python with LPTHW
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning python with LPTHW
(Oct-09-2016, 07:10 PM)snippsat Wrote: Yep more about learning basic command line stuff,
and Powershell(not fan of it) only comes up because "Learn Python the Hard Way" use it.
There is many thing i don't like about LPTHW,but not gone take it here.

As mention use cmder,then you have a shell which is closer to shell on Linux.
cmder fit Python and tools needed much better.
You can use many Linux commands and git,ssh,cat..ect work out of the box.

What's bad about Learn Python the Hard Way? What other tutorials would you suggest instead?
@[snippsat]

I recommend Thinks CS, personally, and (non-free) Beginning Python by Magnus Lie Hetland (Apress). The former is good because it has exercises for each chapter, and the latter is good because there are whole chapters on projects. I think the two together are pretty good.
(Oct-10-2016, 03:35 AM)diemildefreud e Wrote: What's bad about Learn Python the Hard Way? What other tutorials would you suggest instead?
The strictness of avoiding Python 3 at all cost is to me utterly ridiculous.
Even newer stuff that work in Python 2.6--> like new string formatting,he want use.
All over the book is the weird(for beginner) formatting codes for %-style formatting.
Not gone mention more,it's a list here :shh:

(Oct-10-2016, 07:04 AM)micseydel Wrote: I recommend Thinks CS, personally, and (non-free) Beginning Python by Magnus Lie Hetland (Apress). The former is good because it has exercises for each chapter, and the latter is good because there are whole chapters on projects. I think the two together are pretty good.
yes agree.
It's a lot mixed stuff out there,we have list here.
(Oct-10-2016, 03:35 AM)diemildefreude Wrote:
(Oct-09-2016, 07:10 PM)snippsat Wrote: Yep more about learning basic command line stuff,
and Powershell(not fan of it) only comes up because "Learn Python the Hard Way" use it.
There is many thing i don't like about LPTHW,but not gone take it here.

As mention use cmder,then you have a shell which is closer to shell on Linux.
cmder fit Python and tools needed much better.
You can use many Linux commands and git,ssh,cat..ect work out of the box.

"As mention use cmder,then you have a shell which is closer to shell on Linux."
Not sure that's a big selling point for windows users. Many have little or no experience with linux and many just don't like it. Personally, I've never had a problem running Python code on windows unless it's something specifically targeting linux and vice versa.

There are many, many tutorials out there about Python. If you like a video type tutorial you can search "Python tutorials" on YouTube. If you like a more structured environment, there are several online schools that offer classes in Python, for example edX, which offer introductory Python classes from MIT, Harvard and others.

You'll also want to start building your own library of books, many are free to download.  In fact Yoriz just posted two excellent sources.

Finally, if your working on the Windows OS, you'll want to save this location  Unofficial Windows Binaries for Python Extension Packages.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
(Oct-10-2016, 01:46 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: As mention use cmder,then you have a shell which is closer to shell on Linux."
Not sure that's a big selling point for windows users. Many have little or no experience with linux and many just don't like it. Personally, I've never had a problem running Python code on windows unless it's something specifically targeting linux and vice versa.
All cmd commands work in cmder,and cmd is still there if want to use it.
It's just that cmder has a lot more stuff that work(ssh,git..ect) than cmd,and look a lot better.
If want you "dir" to list files okay,but also Linux "ls"(get color tagged folders and files) is working.
(Oct-10-2016, 02:02 PM)snippsat Wrote:
(Oct-10-2016, 01:46 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: As mention use cmder,then you have a shell which is closer to shell on Linux."
All cmd commands work in cmder,and cmd is still there if want to use it.
It's just that cmder has a lot more stuff that work(ssh,git..ect) than cmd,and look a lot better.
If want you "dir" to list files okay,but also Linux "ls"(get color tag folders and files) is working.

Thats why i just add cygwins bin directory to windows path environmental variable. Because then you can insert either or into the command prompt. I dont have to use a special console.

C:\Users>ls
Administrator           All Users  Default User      Public       metul_000
Administrator.windows8  Default    Default.migrated  desktop.ini

C:\Users>dir
 Volume in drive C is Windows
 Volume Serial Number is 3405-69A8

Directory of C:\Users

09/22/2016  04:23 AM    <DIR>          .
09/22/2016  04:23 AM    <DIR>          ..
02/22/2014  10:19 PM    <DIR>          Administrator
09/22/2016  04:43 AM    <DIR>          Administrator.windows8
09/22/2016  04:35 AM    <DIR>          Default.migrated
09/30/2016  07:01 AM    <DIR>          metul_000
09/22/2016  04:38 AM    <DIR>          Public
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               7 Dir(s)  791,663,669,248 bytes free

C:\Users>man cpp

C:\Users>ls | grep "Admin"
Administrator
Administrator.windows8

C:\Users>git add .
fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount parent /cygdrive)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).

C:\Users>git init
Initialized empty Git repository in /cygdrive/c/Users/.git/

C:\Users>
Recommended Tutorials:
Hey, thanks a lot for your replies. Just to be clear: I'm mostly learning Python as a way to get into Programming in general because I've been told Python is a great beginner language. I'm ultimately more interested in C# for using Unity(the game-desing software). Also, an audio plugin I want to use in Unity is compiled using Python 2.7, so that's another point of relevance. Therefore, I'm not sure I really need to learn Python 3-specific things.

So my goals are somewhat vague... I'll try to do something game-related with Python if I can, to avoid boredom, but I don't know yet at what point I'll be ready to shift my focus to C#.

And if I opt for cmder instead of Power Shell, do I need to take a cmder tutorial instead of the LPTHW PS tutorial? Any more tips on streamlining my learning process are appreciated.
(Oct-10-2016, 03:08 PM)diemildefreude Wrote: I'll try to do something game-related with Python if I can, to avoid boredom, but I don't know yet at what point I'll be ready to shift my focus to C#.
Lol i said the same thing regarding c++ 5 years ago....and i never went back
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-10-2016, 03:08 PM)diemildefreude Wrote: do I need to take a cmder tutorial instead of the LPTHW PS tutorial?
No tutorial cmder works just as cmd,but look better as has more stuff that work.
You never need to use PS,it don't even know why LPTHW use PS.
Hello,

About cmder:

Quote:Not sure that's a big selling point for windows users. Many have little or no experience with linux and many just don't like it. Personally, I've never had a problem running Python code on windows unless it's something specifically targeting linux and vice versa.

I agree that python usually (until it doesn't) works fine on MS windows.

Whenever I see a new MS windows 'feature' come out, I take a look at it because like it or not, I have to use the OS from time to time.
More often then not, my first reaction is 'OK, so this brings MS Windows one step closer to what Unix was 36 years ago.
Still there are stirrings that MS is seriously looking at a move to Linux (probably proprietary).

Of course, Linux is not UNIX, but they are so close to each other that most all companies that I know of use Linux now.
In my book, there is no comparison Linux wins hands down over MS windows. Still, I do understand that some have to live with
Quote:
The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder
and more nonsense, and displayed at the end of your 35 million file copy, rather than when encountered.

As far as 'Learn python the hard way' is concerned. I no longer even try to include a python 2.7 version in any of my code.
It still works fine for many applications, but if used, you will miss out on so many fantastic new developments in python 3.whatever,
each version has something new for improving development time, performance, or such.

On C# - It built for MS Windows. There are versions converted to Linux, but to me that's like converting a Trawler to a catamaran.

Enough babel ... Larz60+