Python Forum
Problems passing arguments containing spaces to bash script and then on to python
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems passing arguments containing spaces to bash script and then on to python
I am a definite newbie to python. I've written some pretty basic programs that use shell scripts to pass user supplied arguments to my python programs. The problem I have now is that several of my parameters have spaces (for example an address line might read something like '1116 E. State St.'). The python program just parses the list of arguments each with one word. So my address line would be 4 arguments. I've tried single quotes, double quotes, three single ('''1116...'''), three double ("""1116..."""), and combinations of each of those. How do I pass my parameters as needed?

My shell program is attached.

This is the error I get:
(v398) -bash5.2 /home/opensource/pysrc/tst/RepEmploymentVerification $ rep_employment_verification.sh tst 1 kaustin Richard Green 123-45-6789 He Him Cutco ''''State Street'''' Olean NY 14760 Karen 585-968-1497 Jan12020 N Feb1202 N Feb22015 00004
---------------------------
** tst (tst) ENV LOADED **

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/opensource/pysrc/tst/RepEmploymentVerification/./rep_employment_verification2.py", line 474, in <module>
scriptName, environment, letterType, userName, firstName, lastName, socSecNumber, pronoun, pronoun2, companyName, address, city, state, zip, attention, faxNumber, lastActiveDate, lastActiveDateFlag, lastOrderDate, lastOrderDateFlag, contractDate, company = argv
ValueError: too many values to unpack (expected 22)

Attached Files

.txt   rep_employment_verification.txt (Size: 2.46 KB / Downloads: 22)
You need to post the python program, at least the part that processes the command line arguments.
well, my python program only accepts the arguments and then uses them?

# _____________M A I N____________________________________________________________
# ===============================================================================
if __name__ == "__main__":
scriptName, environment, letterType, userName, firstName, lastName, socSecNumber, pronoun, pronoun2, companyName, address, city, state, zip, attention, faxNumber, lastActiveDate, lastActiveDateFlag, lastOrderDate, lastOrderDateFlag, contractDate, company = argv
Arguments that contain spaces must be wrapped in double quotes, both at the command line and inside the shell script. Anywhere the argument is used as a command line argument.
python_program.py
import sys
print(sys.argv)
test_script.sh
Output:
#!/bin/bash echo $1 echo $2 echo $3 python python_program.py "$1" "$2" "$3"
Running the script
Output:
$ bash test_script.sh single "two words" "is three words" single two words is three words ['python_program.py', 'single', 'two words', 'is three words']
I think there must be a better way to solve your problem. I would get rid of the shell script and call the python program directly. Instead of passing values to the python program using the command line, I would use a file that contains the information. What you have looks like a maintenance nightmare to me.

How do you call you script? You don't type all those command line arguments, do you?
(Apr-03-2024, 03:38 PM)kaustin Wrote: How do I pass my parameters as needed?
I think it is a bash question instead of a python question. It seems to me that you only need to add quotes around your variables, for example in my bash terminal
Output:
λ foo='hello world' λ bar="an argument with many spaces" λ echoargs "$foo" "$bar" ['/home/eric/bin/echoargs', 'hello world', 'an argument with many spaces'] λ echoargs $foo $bar ['/home/eric/bin/echoargs', 'hello', 'world', 'an', 'argument', 'with', 'many', 'spaces']
Here echoargs is a Python script that only prints the arguments that it receives. As you can see, in the first invocation with double quotes "$foo" the shell handles correctly hello world as a single argument, but when I don't use the double quotes, it treats it as two arguments.

Python has nothing to do with this problem because it only receives the arguments that were processed by the shell.
« We can solve any problem by introducing an extra level of indirection »
(Apr-03-2024, 06:54 PM)deanhystad Wrote: Arguments that contain spaces must be wrapped in double quotes, both at the command line and inside the shell script. Anywhere the argument is used as a command line argument.
python_program.py
import sys
print(sys.argv)
test_script.sh
Output:
#!/bin/bash echo $1 echo $2 echo $3 python python_program.py "$1" "$2" "$3"
Running the script
Output:
$ bash test_script.sh single "two words" "is three words" single two words is three words ['python_program.py', 'single', 'two words', 'is three words']
I think there must be a better way to solve your problem. I would get rid of the shell script and call the python program directly. Instead of passing values to the python program using the command line, I would use a file that contains the information. What you have looks like a maintenance nightmare to me.

How do you call you script? You don't type all those command line arguments, do you?

We run RPG here and as far as I knew (until a few minutes ago), the only way to call the python (.py) was to use the .sh file. I get my parameters from the user in an RPG program, then pass them to the shell which in turn calls the python. One of my co-workers just showed me another possiblity using QSHPYRUN which I haven't tried yet.
You can call a python program directly. No need for a shell script. Make sure your python program file is executable (chmod +x). You can add a shebang at the top of the file to tell it what python interpreter to use. For example:

program.py
#!/usr/bin/python3

import sys

print(len(sys.argv), sys.argv)
Output:
$ ./program.py a "b c" "d e f g" 4 ['./program.py', 'a', 'b c', 'd e f g']

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Passing writable arguments to functions. Assembler 11 1,136 Jan-15-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: sgrey
  Python Alteryx QS-Passing pandas dataframe column inside SQL query where condition sanky1990 0 776 Dec-04-2023, 09:48 PM
Last Post: sanky1990
  How do I handle escape character in parameter arguments in Python? JKR 6 1,294 Sep-12-2023, 03:00 AM
Last Post: Apoed2023
  Is there a *.bat DOS batch script to *.py Python Script converter? pstein 3 3,438 Jun-29-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: gologica
  math formula does not give the same result as bash script [SOLVED] AlphaInc 3 1,025 Apr-02-2023, 07:21 PM
Last Post: AlphaInc
Question log.exception() without arguments in old Python versions? cthart 5 1,237 Nov-19-2022, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Passing string functions as arguments Clunk_Head 3 1,311 Jun-15-2022, 06:00 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
Question Debian 11 Bullseye | Python 3.9.x | pip install mysql-connector-python-rf problems BrandonKastning 4 6,787 Feb-05-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: BrandonKastning
  Call a bash script from within a Python programme Pedroski55 6 2,525 Dec-06-2021, 01:53 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  Showing and saving the output of a python file run through bash Rim 3 2,546 Oct-06-2021, 10:48 AM
Last Post: gerpark