Python Forum
updating pip, python - understanding terminal and pycharm.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
updating pip, python - understanding terminal and pycharm.
hi there-
i've coded before in some more "user-friendly" environments, but i'm new to python.

i downloaded pycharm because it was recommended and i've been able to execute basic projects within it.

having said that, at the moment, i'm attempting to download and run a script from github, in Terminal (I'm on Mac OS 14.5). i have homebrew installed.
(script located here).

pip3 install wav2vec returns a fairly long error message - and i understand nearly none of it. i will post its entirety below. this has come up elsewhere on the forums here, so i apologize - but i need someone to explain this to me in the absolute simplest terms possible since i'm at a total loss. it would be great to run this script via Terminal/Bash and not have to use PyCharm, if possible.

Full text of error:
Error:
error: externally-managed-environment × This environment is externally managed ╰─> To install Python packages system-wide, try brew install xyz, where xyz is the package you are trying to install. If you wish to install a Python library that isn't in Homebrew, use a virtual environment: python3 -m venv path/to/venv source path/to/venv/bin/activate python3 -m pip install xyz If you wish to install a Python application that isn't in Homebrew, it may be easiest to use 'pipx install xyz', which will manage a virtual environment for you. You can install pipx with brew install pipx You may restore the old behavior of pip by passing the '--break-system-packages' flag to pip, or by adding 'break-system-packages = true' to your pip.conf file. The latter will permanently disable this error. If you disable this error, we STRONGLY recommend that you additionally pass the '--user' flag to pip, or set 'user = true' in your pip.conf file. Failure to do this can result in a broken Homebrew installation. Read more about this behavior here: <https://peps.python.org/pep-0668/> note: If you believe this is a mistake, please contact your Python installation or OS distribution provider. You can override this, at the risk of breaking your Python installation or OS, by passing --break-system-packages. hint: See PEP 668 for the detailed specification. [notice] A new release of pip is available: 24.0 -> 24.1 [notice] To update, run: python3.12 -m pip install --upgrade pip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python openyxl not updating Excel file MrBean12 1 538 Mar-03-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: MrBean12
  invoking python in Terminal Euler 2 742 Aug-25-2023, 06:17 AM
Last Post: perfringo
  Understanding venv; How do I ensure my python script uses the environment every time? Calab 1 2,573 May-10-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Calab
  New to python/coding Need help on Understanding why this code isn't working. Thanks! mat3372 8 2,075 May-09-2023, 08:47 AM
Last Post: buran
  Launch Python IDLE Shell from terminal Pavel_47 5 1,474 Feb-17-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Pavel_47
  Python VS Code: using print command twice but not getting output from terminal kdx264 4 1,335 Jan-16-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Understanding Python classes PythonNewbee 3 1,359 Nov-10-2022, 11:07 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Can't update new python version on Pycharm GOKUUUU 6 4,183 Jul-23-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: GOKUUUU
  How to use GPU in Python or Pycharm? plumberpy 2 13,983 Oct-11-2021, 12:57 PM
Last Post: plumberpy
  Cannot install tensorflow, numpy etc in Pycharm with Python 3.10 plumberpy 2 3,555 Oct-07-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: plumberpy