Python Forum
Data Science and Machine Learning sub-forum
Poll: Test a Data Science forum?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No opinion
0%
0 0%
Lets try it
50.00%
3 50.00%
We dont need it
50.00%
3 50.00%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Data Science and Machine Learning sub-forum
(Jan-12-2018, 09:12 PM)metulburr Wrote: i am not in that area really, what exactly is defined as data science? The use of the libraries: NumPy, SciPy, matplotlib, Pandas, SymPy??

Good question, and not that easy to answer. Data Science as a field itself has nothing to do with Python or its libraries. But its techniques and tools are implemented (also) in Python, and very well at that. So Python (along with the libraries you mentioned) is a very widespread tool among practicioners of D.S. and its related fields (I don't really know the exact hierarchy of those). After all it is the relatively recent advancement (or accessibility?) of high performance computing that makes D.S. practical.
As for defnition, I'd go with a quote from Wiki Data Science page, it looks like a good starting point to me.
Quote:Data science is a "concept to unify statistics, data analysis and their related methods" in order to "understand and analyze actual phenomena" with data.[3] It employs techniques and theories drawn from many fields within the broad areas of mathematics, statistics, information science, and computer science, in particular from the subdomains of machine learning, classification, cluster analysis, data mining, databases, and visualization.

Use of the libraries you mentioned doesn't necessarily mean the code will be about D.S., machine learning, statistics...(except Pandas is pretty sure to be). But the opposite is very likely to be true. If code is about D.S., at least one of those libraries will very probably to be used. Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Data Science and Machine Learning sub-forum - by j.crater - Jan-12-2018, 09:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proposing "Data Science" sub-forum (again) micseydel 15 7,827 Dec-26-2018, 08:08 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  Does the forum need a forum category ? Yoriz 4 6,498 Sep-18-2016, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Kebap