Python Forum
Visual Studio Code does not print desired output but only prints "..."
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visual Studio Code does not print desired output but only prints "..."
Hi all,

I'm a Python rookie (doing an online Python for Beginners course via edX) and I'm struggling with the following.
When I want to execute the below-stated lines of code:

fhand = open("mbox-short.txt")
for line in fhand:
    line = line.rstrip()
    if line.startswith("From: "):
        print(line)
, it prints the following:
Vincents-MacBook-Air-4:PYTHON DATA  STRUCTURES vincentolivers$ /usr/bin/python
Python 2.7.10 (default, Aug 17 2018, 19:45:58) 
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 10.0.0 (clang-1000.0.42)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> fhand = open("mbox-short.txt")
>>> 
>>> for line in fhand:
...     line = line.rstrip()
...     if line.startswith("From: "):
...         print(line)
Any ideas on how to print my desired output instead of "...", i.e. all lines that start with "From: " in the handled text file?

Thanks in advance!!
First - it's recommended to open files with 'with' statement a la with open('mbox-short.txt', 'r') as f:

Second - if you try to enter code in interactive interpreter then you should make sure indentation is correct a la:

>>> for i in range(3):
...     print(i)
>>>
Third - it is not recommended to use Python 2 (for example print is quite different between Python 2 and 3)
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
it looks like you perform "Run Selection/Line in Python Terminal" command (from the mouse right-click menu). In this case it execute your script/selection/current line in python interactive mode line by line
You need to use "Run Python File in Terminal" instead
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

@burak thanks for your reply! And I'm sorry for not using that template, I just signed up and quickly wanted to get my problem solved which led to overreading those rules. I will take them into account from now onwards.

Content-wise, I actually do not see any "Run Python File in Terminal" option... Also, I downloaded the latest version of Python multiple times but somehow it keeps on using the 2.7.10 version...
How do you run your code?
it's in the right-click mouse menu, when click in the code part of the IDE window

as to 2/3 problem - you can select which interpreter to use in VSCode
Ctrl+Shift+P -> find Select Interpreter command
you are on linux paython defaults to python2 version
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

I indeed run the code by selecting the lines --> right-click --> "Run Python File in Terminal".
The other option when right-clicking is "Run Current File in Python Interactive Window". However, when I click that option, VSC requires me to install Jyputer. Apparently Jyputer is installed but it can't be run since my Python version is not supported, can that be true?

this is the right-click menu I have. I believe you use the Run selection/line in python terminal
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Mine lacks the 2nd "run" option compared to yours...
what version of VSCode/Python extension do you use?
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Python 2.7.10 64-bit.

Maybe I should consider reinstalling Python since there could be a chance I've unconsciously changed some vital settings or so. Also, how is it possible that even though I downloaded Python 3.7, only the 2.7.10 version pops up as possible interpreter? I'm kinda lost

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  problem in output of a snippet code akbarza 2 375 Feb-28-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  My code works on Jupyter Lab/Notebook, but NOT on Visual Code Editor jst 4 1,035 Nov-15-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: jst
  How to set PYTHONPATH in Visual Studio Code? aupres 5 4,221 Aug-15-2023, 03:51 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  how do I open two instances of visual studio code with the same folder? SuchUmami 3 890 Jun-26-2023, 09:40 AM
  Visual Studio Code NewPi 3 1,057 May-16-2023, 11:13 PM
  zfill prints extra et the end of a var tester_V 4 909 Mar-24-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: tester_V
  I cannot able to see output of this code ted 1 756 Feb-22-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Python VS Code: using print command twice but not getting output from terminal kdx264 4 1,095 Jan-16-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Json filter is not capturing desired key/element mrapple2020 1 1,140 Nov-24-2022, 09:22 AM
Last Post: ibreeden
  Visual Studio Code venv ibm_db error mesi1000 7 2,815 Nov-13-2022, 12:36 AM