Python Forum
Trying to install Pyquil, says I need Microsoft Visual C++
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to install Pyquil, says I need Microsoft Visual C++
I have been attempting to install pyquil using pip on PyCharm and I get an error message saying I need Microsoft Visual C++, which doesn't go away even if I install Visual Studio and restart my machine. Is it possible for anyone to clarify how I can fix this?
you need Microsoft Visual C++, not Visual Studio. Visual Studio is IDE and it may support C++ development as well as Python and also others. When installing Visual Studio did you select Desktop Development with C++ (although not sure if it will install everything required in your case)?
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Feb-17-2020, 04:25 PM)buran Wrote: you need Microsoft Visual C++, not Visual Studio. Visual Studio is IDE and it may support C++ development as well as Python and also others. When installing Visual Studio did you select Desktop Development with C++ (although not sure if it will install everything required in your case)?

No, I didn't do that; should I try re-installing and doing that?
If you are using PyCharm and not Visual Studio as your IDE, better uninstall Visual Studio and simply install Microsoft Visual C++ as required
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Feb-17-2020, 04:34 PM)buran Wrote: If you are using PyCharm and not Visual Studio as your IDE, better uninstall Visual Studio and simply install Microsoft Visual C++ as required

I un-installed Visual Studio and then downloaded Microsoft Visual C++ from here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...x?id=40784

and re-started my machine and tried again, but it still didn't work, possibly because I need Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0. Are you possibly able to advise me where I can download that?
Download and install Visual C++ Build tools from here
https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/visua...ild-tools/

more info and Q&A:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/WindowsCompilers
https://www.google.com/search?q=microsof...B%2B+14.00
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Feb-17-2020, 05:02 PM)buran Wrote: Download and install Visual C++ Build tools from here
https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/visua...ild-tools/

Thanks; now the error message is "error: command 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\\VC\\BIN\\cl.exe' failed with exit status -1073741701"
no idea, whatsoever... maybe someone else...
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Using conda can be easier for this on Windows.
It will find needed compiler and other stuff needed.
I tested with.
conda install -c rigetti pyquil
Install and import test 4-5 give no errors.
For this you need Anaconda/Miniconda,they are stand alone so no problem with have installed before.
(Feb-17-2020, 09:27 PM)snippsat Wrote: Using conda can be easier for this on Windows.
It will find needed compiler and other stuff needed.
I tested with.
conda install -c rigetti pyquil
Install and import test 4-5 give no errors.
For this you need Anaconda/Miniconda,they are stand alone so no problem with have installed before.

Thanks, but I now find I can't import get_qc from pyquil.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microsoft text phone verifying account cito 2 947 Jul-21-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: cito
  error : "Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 is required. " Even its installed Barak 4 3,923 Oct-13-2021, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Underscore
  Creating Excel files compatible with microsoft access vkallavi 0 1,565 Sep-17-2020, 06:57 PM
Last Post: vkallavi
  Authentication error when accessing Microsoft SharePoint klllmmm 3 10,095 Jun-10-2020, 07:46 AM
Last Post: nuffink
  2 Microsoft word Docx content comparison vintysaw 2 5,632 Oct-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Last Post: vintysaw
  "Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 is required", but can't be found corona79 2 5,028 Jul-24-2018, 08:33 PM
Last Post: nilamo
  Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 is required. Get it with "Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools rajeev1729 2 31,953 Apr-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Last Post: nilamo
  ISO working example of opening a Microsoft Word document through PyWin32 Orthoducks 1 4,569 Dec-25-2016, 10:12 PM
Last Post: snippsat