Python Forum
Anaconda on Windows 10: problem with Jupyter Notebook
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anaconda on Windows 10: problem with Jupyter Notebook
Hi, today i've installed Anaconda on Windows 10 but i have problems because Jupyter Notebook doesn't run.
I put some screenshots here but i've tried a lot of others combination.
The problem i guess is that there is no such file as "jupyter-notebook" in the scripts folder as you can see.

[Image: fmOb6n]

I've tried to install Anaconda Navigation following the instructions but it doesn't work.

[Image: n6aymn]

I'm able to run Python but not jupyter and conda as you can see:

[Image: gDzxe7]

Last thing: when i open the anaconda prompt, there is a strange error message and i don't know what it means:

[Image: fDQLz7]

I'm a beginner so forgive my mistakes (and my bad english).
Thanks

I want to add this:
i created 1 month ago a venv in E:, where i installed various packages in order to replicate a scientific environment.
In that folder, jupyter notebook exists, and it runs:

[Image: eoQQXS]

So i guess there is a conflict somewhere....what can i do to use jupypter notebook also in the Anaconda environment?
Look at my Anaconda tutorial
You don's start from cmd, You download eg Python 3.6 version 64-Bit Graphical Installer (537 MB).
Follow the installer instruction,if this is your only Python you can answer yes to add environment variables Path.
I have python.org as my main Python so i answer no.

Then you see in tutorial how to access conda and pip,
for jupyter notebook there will shortcut icon or Navigator to start.

From commanline after correct install.
G:\Anaconda3\Scripts
λ jupyter-notebook

# Or
λ jupyter notebook
(Apr-16-2018, 01:02 PM)snippsat Wrote: Look at my Anaconda tutorial
You don's start from cmd, You download eg Python 3.6 version 64-Bit Graphical Installer (537 MB).
Follow the installer instruction,if this is your only Python you can answer yes to add environment variables Path.
I have python.org as my main Python so i answer no.

Then you see in tutorial how to access conda and pip,
for jupyter notebook there will shortcut icon or Navigator to start.

From commanline after correct install.
λ jupyter-notebook

# Or
λ jupyter notebook

I've seen your tutorial.
You write that conda is in Anaconda>cd Scripts> but as i said earlier....in that folder i don't find neither conda nor jupyter-notebook.

E:\ANACONDA\Scripts\conda i receive this message: 'conda' is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Same thing for E:\ANACONDA\Scripts\jupyter notebook
(Apr-16-2018, 05:58 PM)lupoalberto Wrote: You write that conda is in Anaconda>cd Scripts> but as i said earlier....in that folder i don't find neither conda nor jupyter-notebook.
Have you done installation from Anaconda web-site?
Download you choice download Python 3.6 version.
The file you get is Anaconda3-5.0.0-Windows-x86_64.exe(537MB)

You double-click on exe file and follow the graphical installer instruction.
You will get to this window where you choice if want add Anaconda to Path,
as mention i have not,if you only have Anaconda mark on.
[Image: anaconda-options.png]
(Apr-16-2018, 07:54 PM)snippsat Wrote:
(Apr-16-2018, 05:58 PM)lupoalberto Wrote: You write that conda is in Anaconda>cd Scripts> but as i said earlier....in that folder i don't find neither conda nor jupyter-notebook.
Have you done installation from Anaconda web-site?
Download you choice download Python 3.6 version.
The file you get is Anaconda3-5.0.0-Windows-x86_64.exe(537MB)

You double-click on exe file and follow the graphical installer instruction.
You will get to this window where you choice if want add Anaconda to Path,
as mention i have not,if you only have Anaconda mark on.
[Image: anaconda-options.png]

Yes, i did the installation from the Anaconda web-site, and i didn't select the first option, but only the second, because i already had Python on my computer.

As i said, the strange thing is that i don't have any jupyter notebook file into the Scripts folder...neither conda
(Apr-17-2018, 05:30 AM)lupoalberto Wrote: As i said, the strange thing is that i don't have any jupyter notebook file into the Scripts folder...neither conda
Do you have antivirus software?
They can remove .exe if think it's a risk.
Like conda.exe or jupyter-notebook.exe,files are in Anaconda3-5.0.0-Windows-x86_64.exe(can be opened bye eg 7-Zip)
So files are there before install,but when install AV software can rewove .exe this is called false positives.
Also look at How to Show Hidden Files and Folders
(Apr-17-2018, 10:07 AM)snippsat Wrote:
(Apr-17-2018, 05:30 AM)lupoalberto Wrote: As i said, the strange thing is that i don't have any jupyter notebook file into the Scripts folder...neither conda
Do you have antivirus software?
They can remove .exe if think it's a risk.
Like conda.exe or jupyter-notebook.exe,files are in Anaconda3-5.0.0-Windows-x86_64.exe(can be opened bye eg 7-Zip)
So files are there before install,but when install AV software can rewove .exe this is called false positives.
Also look at How to Show Hidden Files and Folders

yes i have...

But, given the fact that i'm not able to solve the problem....can i transfer the jupyter-notebook file from the directory where i have it (in the other virtual environment) to Anaconda folder?

On the other hand, regarding the conda.exe, does a separate conda package exist on web that i can install in the Anaconda folder?

Because i don't see other realistic solutions right now..
(Apr-17-2018, 05:34 PM)lupoalberto Wrote: yes i have...
Then you most check the log to see if AV has removed those files.
Av will always remove those file it think a risk,so you most set rule not to(usually called exceptions rules).

(Apr-17-2018, 05:34 PM)lupoalberto Wrote: On the other hand, regarding the conda.exe, does a separate conda package exist on web that i can install in the Anaconda folder?
There is no point in doing something else before you figure out why those files is been removed.
conda.exe is in package/zip in the install .exe file you can look and extract just conda.exe file with 7-Zip.
But no point if it's been removed bye AV.
(Apr-17-2018, 07:55 PM)snippsat Wrote:
(Apr-17-2018, 05:34 PM)lupoalberto Wrote: yes i have...
Then you most check the log to see if AV has removed those files.
Av will always remove those file it think a risk,so you most set rule not to(usually called exceptions rules).

(Apr-17-2018, 05:34 PM)lupoalberto Wrote: On the other hand, regarding the conda.exe, does a separate conda package exist on web that i can install in the Anaconda folder?
There is no point in doing something else before you figure out why those files is been removed.
conda.exe is in package/zip in the install .exe file you can look and extract just conda.exe file with 7-Zip.
But no point if it's been removed bye AV.

I've Windows Defender Security.
I checked out what you said, entering in the "Operational" window, in this way:

To view a Windows Defender AV event
Open Event Viewer.
In the console tree, expand Applications and Services Logs, then Microsoft, then Windows, then Windows Defender Antivirus.
Double-click on Operational.
In the details pane, view the list of individual events to find your event.
Click the event to see specific details about an event in the lower pane, under the General and Details tabs.

I checked out the events occurred the day when i created the Anaconda folder, and i didn't find anything regarding "jupyter" or "conda".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My code works on Jupyter Lab/Notebook, but NOT on Visual Code Editor jst 4 1,052 Nov-15-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: jst
Question Need Help with Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows (VRPTW) in Python kasper321421312 1 577 Nov-10-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Navigating file directories and paths inside Jupyter Notebook Mark17 5 720 Oct-29-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Mark17
  How to programmatically stop a program in Jupyter Notebook? Mark17 11 37,254 Feb-12-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: jp21in
Thumbs Up Python 3 Jupyter notebook ternary plot data nicholas 0 956 Jan-21-2023, 05:01 PM
Last Post: nicholas
  Graphs from Jupyter notebook to word Scott 0 892 Nov-28-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Scott
  Opening an empty Jupyter notebook in VSCODE Krischu 3 1,860 Mar-09-2022, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  How to do line continuation in Jupyter Notebook? Mark17 4 5,522 Sep-22-2021, 04:22 PM
Last Post: ibreeden
  Jupyter Notebook as IDE bytecrunch 0 1,618 Sep-12-2021, 07:41 PM
Last Post: bytecrunch
  It says there is no keras in jupyter notebook. it is wrong there is a keras install Led_Zeppelin 0 1,893 Apr-27-2021, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Led_Zeppelin